Slimbridge with David Tipling
27 – 29 January 2023
Location: Slimbridge Wetland Centre, UK
Price: £695 for AP subscribers (£770 non-subscribers)
With over 30,000 wintering waterfowl that could include Bewick’s swans, bittern and water rail as well as wheeling flocks of lapwing and golden plover, Slimbridge provides the opportunity for developing and improving your bird photography. David Tipling will show how he creates artistic images of birds using both technique and his imagination.
The large grounds and well-placed hides will allow you to explore at your own pace, while David will be on hand for one-to-one tuition to help you improve your technique and get the most from the visit.
- Wild bird highlights could include Bewick’s swans, bittern and water rail
- Over 30,000 wintering waterfowl including wheeling flocks of lapwing and golden plover
- Lots of opportunities for flight photography and improving technique
- Tame birds allowing you to get creative
- Explore and photograph at your own pace
- Lectures and personal tuition by David Tipling
- Accommodation in a shared twin room (single room supplement £60)
- Meals according to itinerary (B = Breakfast, L = Lunch, D = Dinner)
- All photo activities according to the program
- Participation by David Tipling throughout the workshop
- Workshop, lectures, and image editing by David Tipling
- English-speaking travel host from Zoom Photo Tours
- Hotel and other local taxes
- Travel documents and other travel information
Excluded: Transport to location, personal expenses and travel insurance
What should I bring?
- A camera
- Lenses: we suggest telephoto lenses up to a 500mm, wide-angle lenses like 24-70mm and mid-size lens like 70-200m
- A tripod or a monopod
- Extra batteriers, chargers etc
- Rain cover for the camera
- A laptop with image editing software.
Day 1 (27/1) – Arrival and Lecture
You will arrive at our hotel in Gloucester late afternoon, and you will be greeted by David Tipling and a host from Zoom Photo Tours. The workshop will start with an inspiring talk by David who will show you photos from Slimbridge giving tips on technique and describing what we can expect to photograph over the next two days. This will be followed by a welcome dinner.
Day 2 (28/1) – Photography from boat and land
We will have a full day at Slimbridge exploring the hides and grounds. David will give tuition, tips and advice on how to get the best out of photographing the many opportunities on offer. For those that wish they can wander off at their own pace. We will all meet up at lunchtime in the Slimbridge cafe.
Late afternoon sees the Bewick’s swan feed which gives good opportunities to photograph this species as birds gather and this will be a fitting end to the day. After dinner David will give an entertaining talk on his wildlife photography.
Day 3 (28/1) – Morning photography and editing
During the morning we visit Slimbridge for a last photo session. The tour will end at lunchtime but for those that wish you will have the opportunity to stay within the Slimbridge grounds for more photography before heading home.
When you get home and have had time to edit your images, send three of your best ones to David who will give feedback on the photos and choose the best image, which will be published in Amateur Photographer magazine. (B, L)