Canon EOS R
Price as Reviewed:£2,349.00 (Body only with EF-EOS R mount adapter)
It has been a long time coming, but Canon finally has a full-frame mirrorless camera to its name. Michael Topham reveals if its been worth the wait
Canon EOS R Review: RF lenses and EF/EF-S compatibility
Canon has announced four lenses for the EOS R system to date. These include the RF 50mm f/1.2 L USM (£2,349), RF 35mm f/1.8 Macro IS STM (£519), RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM (£1,199) and the RF 28-70mm f/2L USM (£3,049).
To ensure existing EF and EF-S lens owners aren’t left out, Canon has created three EF-EOS R mount adapters. The most basic EF-EOS R mount adapter (£99) allows more than 70 EF and EF-S lenses to be used with the EOS R and is bundled as part of the body-only kit. There’s also the EF-EOS R control mount ring adapter (£199). This brings the functionality of the control ring found on new RF lenses to anyone wishing to attach an EF or EF lens to an EOS R body. What you’ll want to bare in mind is that the control ring will be positioned considerably further back, which may affect the handling depending on the size and weight of the lens that’s used.
The third mount adapter is aimed at those who may wish to use lenses that might be difficult to add filters to. The drop-in filter mount adapter EF-EF-EOS R with circular polarizing filter will cost £299 and the drop-in filter mount adapter EF-EF-EOS R with variable ND Filter will cost £399. Each of the three adapters are fully compatible with the autofocus and optical stabilisation of the lens that’s attached, whether it be it a Canon lens or third-party alternative.
- Sensor: 30.3-million-pixel full-frame CMOS sensor
- Output size: 6720x4480 pixels
- Focal length mag: 1x
- Lens mount: Canon RF mount
- External mic: Yes, 3.5mm stereo
- Shutter Speeds: 30-1/8000sec, bulb
- ISO: 100-40,000 (expandable to 50-102,400)
- Metering: 384-zone metering system
- Exposure compensation: +/-3 EV in 1/3 or 1/2 stop increments
- Drive Mode: 8fps (5fps with AF tracking)
- Video: 4K/30P 4:2:2 10-bit HDMI output
- Viewfinder: 0.5in, 3.69-million dot EVF
- Display: 3.15in, 2.1-million dot
- Memory Card: SD/SDHC/SDXC UHS-II (single slot)
- Power: LP-E6N rechargeable Li-ion Battery
- Dimensions: 135.8x98.3x84.4mm
- Weight: 660g (body only with card and battery)