Sony Alpha 65
Price as Reviewed:£869.00
The Sony Alpha 65 single lens translucent camera features the same class-leading 24.3-million-pixel sensor as the Alpha 77, yet costs £350 less. We find out how it performs
With the same sensor, the Alpha 65 has a near identical dynamic range performance to its more expensive sibling, the Alpha 77. On the measured data (www.dxomark.com), the Alpha 65 scores a dynamic range of 12.6EV compared to the 12.8EV of the Alpha 77 at ISO 100.
At ISO 12,800, the dynamic range of the Alpha 65 is 6.9EV, which is almost half its base ISO. This means that the Alpha 65 offers a wide dynamic range at lower ISO ratings, but shows a steady decline as the ISO sensitivity increases, with images tonally flatter when a higher ISO rating is used.
The rating of the dynamic range places the Alpha 65 roughly 1EV below the Nikon D5100, but 1EV above the Canon EOS 60D. In short, the available dynamic range in a single exposure is in line with the competition.
The sensor of the Alpha 65 is more densely packed with pixels than its competitors, which means they are smaller and collect less light individually. It is impressive, then, that the camera matches the performance of other, less densely packed sensors.
- Video: AVCHD: 1920x1080 pixels (at 50fps or 25fps PAL)
- Built-in Flash: Yes – GN 12m @ ISO 100
- Memory Card: SD, SDHC, SDXC or Memory Stick Pro Duo
- Viewfinder Type: 2.359-million-dot XGA OLED electronic, 100% FOV
- LCD: 3in LCD with 921,600 dots, tilted and articulated
- AF Points: 15-point with 3 cross-type, auto or manually selectable
- White Balance Bracket: Auto, 6 presets, Kelvin, plus custom setting
- Focal Length Mag: 1.5x
- Sensor: 24.3-million-effective-pixel HD CMOS sensor
- Exposure Modes: Auto, auto+, PASM and 8 scene modes
- Weight: 622g approx (including battery and card/s)
- Power: Rechargeable Li-Ion NP-FM500H battery
- Shutter Speeds: 30-1/4000sec in 1⁄3EV steps plus bulb
- File Format: Raw, JPEG, raw + JPEG simultaneously
- Dimensions: 132x97x81mm
- Drive Mode: 10fps in high-speed mode, 8fps continuous high
- Metering System: 1,200-zone evaluative metering, centreweighted and fixed centre spot
- Lens Mount: Sony Alpha mount
- RRP: £869 (with 18-55mm kit lens)
- Exposure Comp: ±5EV in 1⁄3EV or 1/2EV steps
- ISO: ISO 100-16,000
- Tested as: Low-end enthusiast-level SLT