Sony Alpha 65
Price as Reviewed:£869.00
The Sony Alpha 65 single lens translucent camera features the same class-leading 24.3-million-pixel sensor as the Alpha 77, yet costs £350 less. We find out how it performs
Noise, Resolution & Sensitivity
These 100% enlargements show how the 16-50mm f/2.8 lens is slightly sharper than the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 kit lens
With the same imaging sensor and fixed mirror as the Alpha 77, it comes as no surprise that the Alpha 65 delivers superb image quality. At the base ISO setting, the Alpha 65 reaches the 30 marker on our resolution charts.
In fact, the resolution chart results of the Alpha 65 trump many other enthusiast-level cameras. Using the 18-55mm kit lens seems like a waste on a sensor that this good. When using a camera with a fixed mirror, the downside is that less light reaches the imaging sensor.
As we showed in our article Sensor comparisons (AP 30 April 2011), even at base ISO settings there is a degree of luminance noise in Alpha SLT cameras. At the higher ISO ratings of ISO 3200 and above, noise is significantly higher and obvious in real-world images. This is an area where SLT cameras fall short of the DSLR competition.
Despite noise levels being more prominent at higher ISO sensitivities than in its competitors, the Alpha 65 is still able to resolve a lot of detail, reaching the 24 marker at ISO 6400.
These images show 72ppi (100% on a computer screen) sections of images of a resolution chart, captured using a Sigma 105mm lens. We show the section of the resolution chart where the camera starts to fail to reproduce the lines separately. The higher the number visible in these images, the better the camera’s detail resolution at the specified sensitivity setting.
- Video: AVCHD: 1920x1080 pixels (at 50fps or 25fps PAL)
- Built-in Flash: Yes – GN 12m @ ISO 100
- Memory Card: SD, SDHC, SDXC or Memory Stick Pro Duo
- Viewfinder Type: 2.359-million-dot XGA OLED electronic, 100% FOV
- LCD: 3in LCD with 921,600 dots, tilted and articulated
- AF Points: 15-point with 3 cross-type, auto or manually selectable
- White Balance Bracket: Auto, 6 presets, Kelvin, plus custom setting
- Focal Length Mag: 1.5x
- Sensor: 24.3-million-effective-pixel HD CMOS sensor
- Exposure Modes: Auto, auto+, PASM and 8 scene modes
- Weight: 622g approx (including battery and card/s)
- Power: Rechargeable Li-Ion NP-FM500H battery
- Shutter Speeds: 30-1/4000sec in 1⁄3EV steps plus bulb
- File Format: Raw, JPEG, raw + JPEG simultaneously
- Dimensions: 132x97x81mm
- Drive Mode: 10fps in high-speed mode, 8fps continuous high
- Metering System: 1,200-zone evaluative metering, centreweighted and fixed centre spot
- Lens Mount: Sony Alpha mount
- RRP: £869 (with 18-55mm kit lens)
- Exposure Comp: ±5EV in 1⁄3EV or 1/2EV steps
- ISO: ISO 100-16,000
- Tested as: Low-end enthusiast-level SLT