Pentax K-S2 Review
May 20, 2015
Price as Reviewed:£649.00 (Body with 18-50mm lens)
The K-S2 is Pentax’s latest mid-range DSLR, continuing its tradition of offering affordable yet well-specified cameras. Find out how it gets on in our Pentax K-S2 review.
Sponsored by CameraWorld
Looking to upgrade? Our Trade-In and Purchase Service is one of the best in the industry. We buy all sorts of equipment and make that upgrade much easier than you may think. Visit www.cameraworld.co.uk/trade-in for a quote.
Pentax K-S2 Review – Image Quality
Images produced are generally solid, as you might expect from a camera utilising the same sensor as the popular K-S1. There are issues with JPEG processing performing a touch too aggressively, however this can be avoided by simply shooting Raw files.
The K-S2’s auto white balance is reliable on the whole, although it does err to the cool side of the scale on occasion. In this instance it’s better to select your own white balance setting, although of course you can also shoot raw and convert the images in camera.
As you might expect for a camera with a 20MP sensor and no anti-alias filter, the K-S2 is capable of resolving plenty of detail. Even as the ISO settings increase, the K-S2 manages to maintain an impressive amount of detail capture in comparison to similar DSLRs.
Despite the relatively high megapixel count the K-S2 manages image noise at high ISO settings impressively. At the lowest settings there’s little or no noise, with fine detail well presented. In fact, noise is largely absent up to ISO 1600, while at ISO 3200 luminance noise starts to be an issue. Settings up to ISO 12,800 remain usable, although the top two settings are best avoided.
- Sensor: 20.2-million-pixel, APS-C CMOS sensor
- Output Size: 5472 x 3648 pixels
- Lens Mount: Pentax K
- Focal Length Magnification: 1.5x
- Shutter Speeds: 30 - 1/6000 sec
- ISO: 10 - 51,200
- Exposure Modes: PASM, Auto, Scene, HDR
- Metering System: 77-segment, Spot, Centre-weighted
- Drive Mode: 5.4fps
- LCD: 3in, 921k-dot articulated LCD
- Viewfinder: 0.95x magnification, 100% coverage
- AF Points: 11-point phase detect
- Video: Full HD @ 1920 x 1080p, 30, 25 and 24fps
- External Mic: Yes, 3.5mm stereo
- Memory Card: SD, SDHC, SDXC
- Power: D-Li109 rechargable Li-ion
- Battery Life: Approx. 410 shots
- Dimensions: 122.5 x 91 x 72.5mm
- Weight: 678g