Price as Reviewed:£510.00
This new mid-level DSLR offers a highly competitive feature list that will please current Pentax owners and new users alike, but does it have enough clout to ruffle the competition?
Image: Although this image was taken in near darkness using a tripod and low ISO, the results are crisp and clean
The 16-segment metering system is certainly no slacker, as we have seen in both the K-5 and 645D models, and in general conditions it gives a nice even midtone.
Given a wider range of exposures, the multi-segment metering tends to favour the highlights and can often underexpose a scene to avoid losing any bright detail. For those shooting in raw mode this is ideal, as you are easily able to pull more detail out of the shadows in processing.
When shooting in JPEG, however, I sometimes needed to adjust the exposure compensation by up to 2 stops to produce my required exposure. The information on the image review screen offers a choice of either singular or multiple histograms for RGB values, allowing you to check your tone range instantly.
There are also options for both highlight and shadow correction, to boost the camera’s range. There is even an in-camera HDR function that takes three images in quick succession and combines them for a wider dynamic range.
- External mic: No
- Video: 720p HD, 25fps, AVI
- White Balance: Auto, 10 presets with fine-tuning, manual
- Built-in Flash: Yes (GN 12 @ ISO 100)
- Dioptre Adjustment: -2.5 to +1.5 dioptre
- Shutter Type: Vertical-run focal-plane shutter
- Memory Card: SD/SDHC
- Viewfinder Type: Pentaprism finder
- Output Size: 4288x2428 pixels
- LCD: 3in, 921,000-dot LCD
- AF Points: 11-point system (all cross-type and fully biaxial)
- Field of View: 96%
- White Balance Bracket: N/A
- Sensor: 12.4-million-effective pixel CMOS
- Max Flash Sync: 1/180sec
- Focal Length Mag: 1.5x
- Exposure Modes: Program, aperture (Av), shutter (Tv) and sensitivity (Sv) priority, manual, scene modes, auto
- Weight: 544g (body only)
- Power: Rechargeable D-LI109 Li-Ion, 4 AA-type batteries (with adapter), AC power
- File Format: JPEG, PEF or DNG (raw)
- Shutter Speeds: 30-1/6000sec plus bulb
- Drive Mode: 6fps
- Colour Space: Adobe RGB, sRGB
- Lens Mount: KAF2 mount
- ISO: 200-12,800 (100-25,600 expanded)
- Focusing Modes: Single, continuous, auto, manual
- DoF Preview: No
- Dimensions: 97x125x68mm
- Metering System: 16-segment open aperture TTL
- Connectivity / Interface: USB 2.0, AV out, IR remote
- Exposure Comp: ±3EV
- Compression: 3-stage JPEG
- RRP: £599 with 18-55mm lens