Price as Reviewed:£510.00
This new mid-level DSLR offers a highly competitive feature list that will please current Pentax owners and new users alike, but does it have enough clout to ruffle the competition?
The K-r might not be Pentax’s cheapest offering in the DSLR range, but it still performs well against the latest entry-level offerings from other manufacturers.
Nikon’s D3100 is its main rival, coming in at a very similar street price.
The D3100 is simpler in design and offers both a higher resolution sensor and more AF points, but in other areas the two are quite evenly matched.
The other major competition comes from Canon’s EOS 500D and Sony’s Alpha 550, which offer comparable features.
Where the K-r consistently lacks against this competition is in the sensor resolution, but it does offer far superior sensitivity in its ISO range and burst mode for continuous shooting.
- External mic: No
- Video: 720p HD, 25fps, AVI
- White Balance: Auto, 10 presets with fine-tuning, manual
- Built-in Flash: Yes (GN 12 @ ISO 100)
- Dioptre Adjustment: -2.5 to +1.5 dioptre
- Shutter Type: Vertical-run focal-plane shutter
- Memory Card: SD/SDHC
- Viewfinder Type: Pentaprism finder
- Output Size: 4288x2428 pixels
- LCD: 3in, 921,000-dot LCD
- AF Points: 11-point system (all cross-type and fully biaxial)
- Field of View: 96%
- White Balance Bracket: N/A
- Sensor: 12.4-million-effective pixel CMOS
- Max Flash Sync: 1/180sec
- Focal Length Mag: 1.5x
- Exposure Modes: Program, aperture (Av), shutter (Tv) and sensitivity (Sv) priority, manual, scene modes, auto
- Weight: 544g (body only)
- Power: Rechargeable D-LI109 Li-Ion, 4 AA-type batteries (with adapter), AC power
- File Format: JPEG, PEF or DNG (raw)
- Shutter Speeds: 30-1/6000sec plus bulb
- Drive Mode: 6fps
- Colour Space: Adobe RGB, sRGB
- Lens Mount: KAF2 mount
- ISO: 200-12,800 (100-25,600 expanded)
- Focusing Modes: Single, continuous, auto, manual
- DoF Preview: No
- Dimensions: 97x125x68mm
- Metering System: 16-segment open aperture TTL
- Connectivity / Interface: USB 2.0, AV out, IR remote
- Exposure Comp: ±3EV
- Compression: 3-stage JPEG
- RRP: £599 with 18-55mm lens