Olympus E-5 review
December 18, 2010
Price as Reviewed:£1,600.00
We review the Olympus E-5 DSLR, from build and handling to the viewfinder, and give our final verdict on this enthusiast's play toy.
Sponsored by CameraWorld
Looking to upgrade? Our Trade-In and Purchase Service is one of the best in the industry. We buy all sorts of equipment and make that upgrade much easier than you may think. Visit www.cameraworld.co.uk/trade-in for a quote.
Although we have covered Olympus’s art filters in the past, the changes made to those on this camera make them worthy of a second look. This is mainly down to their repositioning in the menu as a picture style that makes them accessible from every shooting mode – including video.
A big criticism of the art filters in the past has been that you are forced to use auto settings. Now you can remain in aperture priority, for instance, and use the effect with the aperture you require.
There are ten art filters on the E-5, and of those five allow further adjustment to fine-tune the look and feel of the image.
Those that cannot be adjusted tend to be the more extreme effects, such as pop art, diorama and grainy film. This is a shame, because it would really be handy to play around with these effects. Some of my favourite filters include the diorama, which gives a tilt/shift effect to create miniature scenes; the grainy film for a retro b&w feel; and the new dramatic tone filter.
Although the effect created using dramatic tone is a little over the top for some scenes, it is a lot of fun. It looks great on videos, too, adding a slight time-lapse effect to the filming. Thankfully, processing time is faster, and effects are instant rather than taking a extra seconds to process after each shot, as on earlier Olympus DSLRs.
- Dioptre Adjustment: -3.0 to +1 dioptre
- Video: 720p HD, 30fps, AVI
- White Balance: Auto, 7 presets with fine-tuning, 4 custom settings, temp
- External mic: Yes
- Built-in Flash: Yes (GN 13m @ ISO 100)
- Shutter Type: Computerised focal-plane shutter
- Memory Card: Dual-slot CF and SD/SDHC/SDXC
- Viewfinder Type: Pentaprism finder
- Output Size: 4032x3024
- Field of View: 100%
- LCD: 3in, 921,000-dot LCD
- Sensor: 12.3-million-effective-pixel Live MOS
- White Balance Bracket: 3 frames
- AF Points: 11-point system (all cross-type and fully biaxial)
- Max Flash Sync: 1/250sec or 1/8000sec (high speed)
- Focal Length Mag: 2x
- Exposure Modes: Program, aperture priority, shutter priority, manual
- File Format: JPEG, ORF (raw), AVI
- Power: Rechargeable BLM-5 Li-Ion, DC input
- Weight: 800g (body only)
- Drive Mode: 5fps
- Shutter Speeds: 60-1/8000sec in 1/3, 1/2EV or 1EV steps
- Colour Space: Adobe RGB, sRGB
- Dimensions: 142.5x116.5x74.5mm
- Metering System: TTL open aperture 49-segment
- Connectivity / Interface: USB 2.0, mini HDMI, video out, remote, PC-sync
- Compression: 4-stage JPEG
- Exposure Comp: ±5EV
- Lens Mount: Four Thirds
- ISO: 100-6400
- Focusing Modes: Single, continuous, manual
- DoF Preview: Yes