Price as Reviewed:£699.00
Sony’s new NEX-6 shares many of its features with the company’s flagship NEX-7, but is more affordable and offers Wi-Fi control. Read the Sony NEX-6 review...
Sony NEX-6 review – LCD, viewfinder and video
Whereas the LCD screen of the flagship NEX-7 is fixed, the NEX-6’s LCD screen can tilt up 90° and down 45°. It has a 921,600-dot resolution and a bright display, although it is not as bright as the company’s new 1.228-million-dot LCD found in the Cyber-shot DSC-RX100, DSC-RX1 and Alpha 99.
Also, the screen picks up smudges easily, which in bright light compromises clear viewing. Given its lower price point than the NEX-7, it is impressive that the NEX-6 uses the same excellent 2.359-million-dot XGA OLED EVF. It displays a 100% field of view and has 1.09x magnification. Other similar sized cameras do not usually fit a viewfinder, but in some cases it is available as an optional external unit. External EVF units add considerable cost, certainly no less than £250, with the Sony 2.359-million-dot external EVF unit costing around £300.
If a viewfinder is paramount to your checklist for a new camera, the relatively expensive NEX-6 may be great value. A dioptre control provides -4 to +1 adjustment, and with a 23mm eye point even spectacle wearers should get a clear view.
HD video recording in AVCHD format is possible at 1080 (50i, 50p or 25p) and at 1440 x 1080 pixels in MP4 format.
- Video: 1080 (50i, 50p or 24p AVCHD output), MP4 (1440 x 1080 at 25fps)
- White Balance: Auto, 6 presets, Kelvin, plus custom setting
- Dioptre Adjustment: -4 to +1
- Built-in Flash: Yes
- Shutter Type: Electronically controlled focal-plane shutter
- Memory Card: SD, SDHC, SDXC, Memory Stick Pro Duo
- Viewfinder Type: XGA OLED Tru-Finder with 100% field of view
- White Balance Bracket: No
- AF Points: 99-point (phase-detection), 25-point (contrast AF), centre, flexible spot, multi-point
- LCD: Tilt 3in LCD with 921,600 dots
- Output Size: 4912 x 3264 pixels
- Max Flash Sync: 1/160sec
- Sensor: 16.1-million-effective-pixel, APS-C-sized (23.5 x 15.6mm) CMOS sensor
- Focal Length Mag: 1.5x
- Exposure Modes: iAuto, iAuto+, program, aperture priority, shutter priority, manual, scene selection, sweep panorama
- Weight: 287g body only
- Power: Rechargeable NP-FW50 Li-Ion (360 shots)
- File Format: JPEG, ARW (raw), AVCHD/MP4
- Shutter Speeds: 30-1/4000sec in 1⁄3EV steps plus bulb
- Drive Mode: Single, continuous, timer, speed priority 10fps, bracketing
- Colour Space: Adobe RGB, sRGB
- Focusing Modes: Single, continuous, manual
- Dimensions: 119.9 x 66.9 x 42.6mm
- Connectivity / Interface: USB 2.0 Hi-Speed, HDMI
- Metering System: 1,200-zone evaluative metering, centreweighted and fixed centre spot
- Compression: 2-stage JPEG
- Exposure Comp: ±3EV in 1⁄3EV steps
- RRP: £709 body only or £830 with 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 lens
- Lens Mount: Sony E mount
- ISO: 100-25,600
- Tested as: Enthusiast CSC