Sony Alpha 5000
Price as Reviewed:£419.00
The NEX branding may have gone, but what else is new about Sony’s 20.1-million-pixel Alpha 5000 – its latest APS-C-format CSC on the market? Read the Sony Alpha 5000 review...
Sony Alpha 5000 review – Live view, LCD and video
The Alpha 5000’s 3in, 460,800-dot LCD screen stands out because its resolution is significantly lower than the 921,000-dot displays common in rival models, it’s disappointing to not see an improvement in this area. Even the NEX-3 had a 921,000-dot screen, and that was released in 2010.
The tiltable screen’s ability to flip up and face forward is perfect for composing ‘selfies’ and group photographs. However, its built-in pop-up flash sits awkwardly in the middle of the screen when in use, obscuring your view of the composition.
Using the LCD screen in direct sunlight can be difficult, but Sony has attempted to combat this by including a ‘sunny weather’ screen-brightness option in the set-up menu. However, it can still be difficult to compose shots because the supporting grid lines themselves can be hard to see, especially when shooting night scenes.
Full HD video in MP4 and AVCHD formats with stereo sound is available via a movie button, and it performs to a good standard that will satisfy most applications, such as filming family occasions, holiday shots and video blogging. The SteadyShot feature adds smooth filming capabilities, while colours and highlight detail are rich and satisfying.
- External mic: Built-in stereo mic only
- Video: 1920x1080 pixels (at 50fps, 25fps or 24fps), 640x480 pixels (at 25fps), AVCHD 2 with MPEG-4 AVC H.264 compression
- White Balance: Auto, 6 presets, Kelvin, plus custom setting
- Built-in Flash: Yes (GN 4m @ ISO 100)
- Shutter Type: Electronically controlled focal-plane shutter
- Memory Card: SD, SDHC, SDXC, Memory Stick PRO Duo
- Viewfinder Type: None available
- White Balance Bracket: Yes, 3 exposures
- AF Points: 25-point, auto or manual selection
- LCD: Articulated 3in LCD with 460,800 dots
- Output Size: 5456 x 3632 pixels
- Focal Length Mag: 1.5x
- Max Flash Sync: 1/160sec
- Sensor: 20.1-million-effective-pixel, APS-C-sized (23.2x15.4mm) CMOS sensor
- Power: Rechargeable Li-Ion NP-FM500H battery, up to 550 shots
- Weight: 269g (with battery and card)
- Exposure Modes: iAuto, Superior Auto, program, aperture priority, shutter priority, manual, scene selection, sweep panorama, creative exposure selection
- Drive Mode: 12fps in tele-zoom mode, 10fps in continuous advance priority AE, continuous 8fps high or 3fps low, single-shot, self-timer
- Shutter Speeds: 30-1/4000sec in 1⁄3EV steps plus bulb
- File Format: Raw, JPEG, raw+JPEG simultaneously
- Compression: 2-stage JPEG
- Colour Space: Adobe RGB, sRGB
- Exposure Comp: ±3EV in 1⁄3EV steps
- RRP: £419 with 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 kit lens
- Lens Mount: Sony E mount
- ISO: 100-16,000
- DoF Preview: No
- Focusing Modes: Contrast detect (sensor), manual, single-shot AF, automatic AF, continuous AF, face detection, tracking, live view, multi-area
- Dimensions: 109.6 x 62.8 x 35.7mm
- Metering System: 1,200-zone evaluative metering, multi-segment, centreweighted and fixed centre spot
- Connectivity / Interface: USB 2.0 Hi-Speed, Bravia Sync via HDMI cable
- Tested as: Entry-level CSC