Sony Alpha 5000
Price as Reviewed:£419.00
The NEX branding may have gone, but what else is new about Sony’s 20.1-million-pixel Alpha 5000 – its latest APS-C-format CSC on the market? Read the Sony Alpha 5000 review...
Sony Alpha 5000 review – Metering
Image: This image was shot in the 16:9 aspect ratio, at ISO 400 with multi-pattern metering. As you can see, the camera has balanced the exposure well and maintained some detail in the shadows without blowing out the church building’s highlights
The intelligent 1,200-zone evaluative multi-segment metering system from Sony’s most advanced SLT camera, the Alpha 77, is found in the Alpha 5000. Centreweighted and spot-metering modes are also included.
Even under challenging bright conditions, the Alpha 5000 isn’t afraid to push highlights to the edge for the sake of rendering some good detail in the shadows. The metering is well balanced when faced with a high-contrast scene, and highlights in key areas are maintained by using effective exposure compensation to resolve valuable image information.
Under overcast or cloudy skies, the evaluative system does a good job of recognising subjects in the foreground, reproducing an evenly lit subject with details intact, even in JPEGs. In the Alpha 5000’s raw files, I was also able to recover enough useful information to increase the contrast and saturation to combat the flatness associated with overcast conditions, as well as tweaking white balance.
As the autofocus is linked to the exposure setting, I found that I could get consistent results if I stuck with evaluative metering, focused on the darker areas of the scene by half-pressing the shutter and then recomposed the frame. Centre and spot metering functioned well for portraits and specifically chosen subjects.
- External mic: Built-in stereo mic only
- Video: 1920x1080 pixels (at 50fps, 25fps or 24fps), 640x480 pixels (at 25fps), AVCHD 2 with MPEG-4 AVC H.264 compression
- White Balance: Auto, 6 presets, Kelvin, plus custom setting
- Built-in Flash: Yes (GN 4m @ ISO 100)
- Shutter Type: Electronically controlled focal-plane shutter
- Memory Card: SD, SDHC, SDXC, Memory Stick PRO Duo
- Viewfinder Type: None available
- White Balance Bracket: Yes, 3 exposures
- AF Points: 25-point, auto or manual selection
- LCD: Articulated 3in LCD with 460,800 dots
- Output Size: 5456 x 3632 pixels
- Focal Length Mag: 1.5x
- Max Flash Sync: 1/160sec
- Sensor: 20.1-million-effective-pixel, APS-C-sized (23.2x15.4mm) CMOS sensor
- Power: Rechargeable Li-Ion NP-FM500H battery, up to 550 shots
- Weight: 269g (with battery and card)
- Exposure Modes: iAuto, Superior Auto, program, aperture priority, shutter priority, manual, scene selection, sweep panorama, creative exposure selection
- Drive Mode: 12fps in tele-zoom mode, 10fps in continuous advance priority AE, continuous 8fps high or 3fps low, single-shot, self-timer
- Shutter Speeds: 30-1/4000sec in 1⁄3EV steps plus bulb
- File Format: Raw, JPEG, raw+JPEG simultaneously
- Compression: 2-stage JPEG
- Colour Space: Adobe RGB, sRGB
- Exposure Comp: ±3EV in 1⁄3EV steps
- RRP: £419 with 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 kit lens
- Lens Mount: Sony E mount
- ISO: 100-16,000
- DoF Preview: No
- Focusing Modes: Contrast detect (sensor), manual, single-shot AF, automatic AF, continuous AF, face detection, tracking, live view, multi-area
- Dimensions: 109.6 x 62.8 x 35.7mm
- Metering System: 1,200-zone evaluative metering, multi-segment, centreweighted and fixed centre spot
- Connectivity / Interface: USB 2.0 Hi-Speed, Bravia Sync via HDMI cable
- Tested as: Entry-level CSC