Samsung NX mini
Price as Reviewed:£400.00
Meet the world’s smallest and lightest interchangeable-lens camera, the 20.5-million-pixel Samsung NX mini. Read the Samsung NX mini review...
Samsung NX mini at a glance:
- 20.5-million-pixel, 1in BSI CMOS sensor
- 460,800-dot TFT LCD with C-type touch control
- ISO 160-12,800 (extendable to ISO 100-25,600)
- 21-point AF system in normal mode, 35 points in close-up
- 6fps high-speed mode
- Street price around £400 with 9mm f/3.5 NX-M kit lens
- See sample images taken with the Samsung NX mini
Samsung NX mini review – Introduction
No one could ever accuse Samsung of failing to innovate; the number of different devices the company releases each year is evidence of that. Yet while some may turn their noses up at the Korean tech giant’s previous digital compacts, Android-powered cameras and bridge cameras, the NX mini is an interesting prospect that deserves some attention from enthusiast and beginner photographers alike.
With the NX mini, Samsung joins the Nikon 1-series cameras and Panasonic’s Lumix DMC-GM1 in the miniature interchangeable-lens camera category. If size is a deciding factor, these cameras are your main options, although alternatives could include highly rated pocket travel model such as Sony’s 20.4-million-pixel Cyber-shot DSC-HX60V and Panasonic’s 18-million-pixel Lumix DMC-TZ60, both of which carry a 30x optical zoom that gives the range and flexibility of an interchangeable-lens system.
Samsung NX mini review – Features
A 20.5-million-pixel BSI CMOS 1in (13.2×8.8mm) sensor is housed inside the Samsung NX mini’s diminutive frame, which is the same-sized sensor used by Sony in its popular Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 II.
Combined with the supplied wideangle lens and its ability to automatically take a picture once a face is detected (up to a maximum of ten faces) with the Wink or Smile Shot turned on, the camera’s 3in flip-up LCD touchscreen is perfect for self-composed portraits. Samsung seems keen to capitalise on the current global ‘selfie’ trend, and this camera will undoubtedly appeal to the vanity victims of that craze, but it will also be attractive to people who make video diaries or blog posts.
There is a host of wireless-connectivity options with this camera. As well as being able to connect to the internet and share images directly to familiar networks such as Facebook, Picasa, Dropbox and Flickr, it’s also possible to link the camera to other smart devices via Wi-Fi or NFC for file transfer, remote viewing and shooting. One of the things I like most about the file-sharing features of the Samsung NX mini is that you have the option to choose whether to transfer the original file or a smaller compressed version. Parents will find the option of using the NX mini as a baby monitor an added bonus, as it connects to a smartphone when both are on the same Wi-Fi network.
Samsung has also developed an entirely new NX-M lens mount to accommodate the camera’s ultra-compact format, although NX-mount lenses can be used with the optional ED-MA4NXM adapter.
The NX mini’s 2,330mAh battery life is another great feature of this camera, having almost twice the capacity of the battery featured in Samsung’s more advanced NX30, and rated to shoot up to 650 shots with the 9mm kit lens before draining completely.
- Video: 1920 x 1080 pixels (30fps only), 640 x 480 pixels, 320 x 240 pixels, MP4 (H.264)
- External mic: No
- White Balance: Auto, 7 presets, Kelvin, plus custom setting
- Output Size: 5472 x 3648 pixels
- Memory Card: Micro SD, Micro SDHC, Micro SDXC, UHS-I Micro SD
- Built-in Flash: Yes – GN 4.9m @ ISO 160
- LCD: Articulated 3in TFT LCD with 460,800-dots
- AF Points: 21 points, or 35 points in close-up mode, auto or manual selection
- Sensor: 20.5-million-effective-pixel 1in (13.2 x 8.8mm) BSI CMOS sensor
- Weight: 196g (with battery and card)
- Exposure Modes: Auto, smart, program, aperture priority, shutter priority, manual, Wi-Fi
- Focal Length Mag: 2.7x
- Max Flash Sync: 1/200sec
- File Format: Raw, JPEG, raw+S.Fine, raw + JPEG simultaneously
- Power: Rechargeable Li-Ion B740AE battery, up to 650 shots
- Drive Mode: Single, continuous 6fps, bracket (AE/WB/PW/Depth) burst (5M) 30fps/15fps/10fps, wink/smile shot, timer
- Shutter Speeds: 30-1/16000sec in 1⁄3EV steps plus bulb
- Connectivity / Interface: Micro USB 2.0 Hi-Speed, HDMI
- Colour Space: Adobe RGB, sRGB
- Compression: 2-stage JPEG
- Exposure Comp: ±3EV in 1⁄3EV steps
- RRP: £400 (with 9mm kit lens)
- Lens Mount: Samsung NX-M mount
- ISO: 160-12,800 (ISO 100, ISO 25,600 available extended)
- Focusing Modes: Manual, single-shot AF, automatic AF, continuous AF, face detection, touch AF
- DoF Preview: Yes
- Metering System: TTL 221 (17 x 13) block segment metering, multi, centreweighted and spot
- Dimensions: 110.4 x 61.9 x 22.5mm
- Tested as: Entry-level CSC