Samsung Galaxy NX
Price as Reviewed:£1,200.00
Could the 20.3-million-pixel Samsung Galaxy NX with Android operating system change the way enthusiast photographers use and think about their cameras? Read the Samsung Galaxy NX review...
Samsung Galaxy NX review – Noise, resolution and sensitivity
Image: At ISO 3200, JPEG images have heavy noise reduction applied in-camera. This makes the images appear smudgy and soft
At ISO 800, images show some noise but it is well controlled in both raw and JPEG format. It is not until ISO 1600 that noise starts to become noticeable. Images up to ISO 3200 are usable, but at ISO 6400 luminance and chroma noise start to become evident. This is especially the case at the maximum ISO 12,400 setting.
I think ISO sensitivity of 100-800 is a good working range for both raw and JPEG images, striking a good balance between noise and detail resolution. Images taken at ISO 800 would still be fine for A3 prints without noise being a problem.
JPEG images do appear softer and it is clear to see that some in-camera noise reduction has taken place even at the lowest sensitivity setting of ISO 100, although for certain pictures it complements the images. At ISO 1600, very detailed areas start to become really soft because of the in-camera noise reduction.
These images show 72ppi (100% on a computer screen) sections of images of a resolution chart, captured using the 18-55mm lens set to 35mm and f/5.6. We show the section of the resolution chart where the camera starts to fail to reproduce the lines separately. The higher the number visible in these images, the better the camera’s detail resolution is at the specified sensitivity setting.
- Video: 1920x1080 pixels (30fps), 1920x810 pixels (24fps)
- White Balance: Auto, 4 presets, custom and manual
- Built-in Flash: TTL auto pop-up
- Shutter Type: Focal-plane shutter
- Memory Card: Micro SD, SDHC, SDXC
- Viewfinder Type: Electronic (800x600)
- Output Size: 5472 x 3648 pixels
- Weight: 410g (without battery or card)
- Exposure Modes: PASM, user, my mode, auto, smart
- Focal Length Mag: 1.5x
- Max Flash Sync: 1/180sec
- Sensor: 20.3-million-effective-pixel CMOS
- AF Points: 105 phase-detection pixels and 247 contrast-detection AF points. Single-point, 21 multi-point, 35 close-up, face detection
- LCD: 4.77in, 1280x720-pixel resolution
- Power: Rechargeable B735EE Li-Ion (4360mAh with 440-shot life)
- File Format: JPEG, SRW (raw)
- Shutter Speeds: 30-1/6000sec + bulb (max 4mins)
- Drive Mode: Single, continuous, burst (5M size only).JPEG: high (8.6fps), normal (up to 5fps) selectable burst, 10fps, 15fps, 30fps selectable, 30 shots by 1 release. Raw: high (8.6fps), normal (up to 5fps) selectable
- Colour Space: Adobe RGB, sRGB
- Lens Mount: Samsung NX
- Focusing Modes: Single, continuous, manual, touch AF
- ISO: 100-25,600
- DoF Preview: No
- Metering System: 221-block segment TTL metering, with multi, centreweighted and spot
- Dimensions: 136.5 x 101.2 x 25.7mm
- Connectivity / Interface: USB 2.0, mini HDMI
- Compression: Normal, Fine, SuperFine
- Exposure Comp: ±3EV in 1/3EV steps
- RRP: £1,299 body only
- Tested as: Enthusiast CSC