Panasonic Lumix GH5
- + Class-leading 4K video capabilities
- + Superb high-resolution EVF
- + Excellent handling and operability
- + Impressive resolution from 20.3MP sensor
- - Noise at higher sensitivities
- - Prone to underexposing high-contrast scenes
- - Large and heavy by Micro Four Thirds standards
Price as Reviewed:£1,699.00 (body only)
Panasonic’s flagship Micro Four Thirds mirrorless camera is a force to be reckoned with, says Audley Jarvis
Panasonic Lumix GH5 review: 6K Photo mode
One standout new feature of the GH5 that wasn’t present in the GH4 is Panasonic’s all-new 6K Photo Mode.
This works in much the same way as the 4K Photo Mode, which has become common to many of Panasonic’s 4K cameras, with the camera recording UHD video footage (with no upper time limit) before allowing you to extract still images from the captured footage via the Playback menu.
The main difference between the two is that 6K Photo Mode produces 18MP still images while 4K Photo produces 8MP images.
In addition to the new 6K Photo Mode, Panasonic’s older 4K Photo Mode also features on the GH5. However, even this has been enhanced with a top burst speed of 60fps now available alongside the standard 30fps. When using 6K Photo, only 30fps can be selected.
Regardless of whether you are shooting in 4K or 6K Photo Mode, there are three modes to choose from: a standard Burst mode that fires off consecutive frames for as long as the shutter button is held down; a Burst Start/Stop that begins recording video the first time you press the shutter button then stops once you press it a second time; and, lastly, a Pre-Burst Mode that captures one second’s worth of footage both before and after the shutter button has been pressed, effectively allowing you to effectively rewind or fast-forward in order to extract the definitive moment.
- Sensor: 20.3MP Four Thirds MOS
- Output size: 5184x3888 pixels
- Lens mount: Micro Four Thirds
- Shutter speeds: 30sec to 1/8000sec (mechanical) 30sec to 1/16,000sec (electronic)
- Sensitivity: 100-25,600 (extended)
- Exposure modes: PASM, Intelligent Auto, Creative Control, Movie, Custom x3
- Metering: Multiple, centreweighted, spot
- Exposure comp: ±5EV in 1/3EV steps
- Cont. shooting: H (12fps), M (8fps), L (2fps)
- Screen: 3.2in 1.62M-dot vari-angle LCD
- Video: 4K (3840x2160)
- Viewfinder: 3.68-million-dot OLED EVF, 0.76x magnification, 100% coverage
- External mic: 3.5mm stereo
- AF points: 225 contrast-detect
- Memory card: 2x SD, SDHC, SDXC
- Power: DMW-BLF19E li-ion, 1860mAh
- Battery life: 380-410 shots
- Dimensions: 135.8x 98.1x87.4mm
- Weight: 725g (with battery and card)