Nikon 1 J1
Price as Reviewed:£549.99
The entry-level J1 compact system camera has fewer features than its V1 sibling, but is around £270 cheaper. We find out whether the J1 is, pound for pound, the better camera
Nikon 1 J1 review at a glance:
- 10.1-million-pixel CMOS sensor
- ISO 100-6400
- 3in, 460,000-dot LCD
- Phase and contrast-detection AF
- Electronic shutter
- Max frame rate 60fps at full resolution
- Full HD movie
- Street price £450 with 10-30mm lens
Nikon 1 J1 review – Introduction
The new Nikon 1 system comprises two models in the form of the V1, which we reviewed in AP 12 November 2011, and the entry-level J1. While the Nikon 1 J1 has many of the same features as the V1, it has been slimmed down slightly by removing the accessory port and the electronic viewfinder.
Subsequently, it demands a lesser price – currently by around £270. This brings the J1 into competition with the likes of the Sony NEX-C3, Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 and Olympus E-PL3.
However, with a smaller sensor that has less resolving power, the J1 and V1 have to rely on additional features and the benefits of smaller lenses to compete with these models.
While the V1 doesn’t seem to have fully satisfied the demands of many advanced Nikon users – because what they really wanted was something closer to Sony’s new NEX-7 – as a budget model, the J1 can be expected to cater for simpler control and may be more appealing.
- LCD: 3in, 460,000 dot
- Output Size: 3872x2592 pixels
- AF Points: 135-area, face detection, AF tracking, select, spot
- Focal Length Mag: 2.7x
- Sensor: 10.1-million pixel, 13.2x8.8mm (2.7x crop factor)
- Exposure Modes: Still (PASM, auto scene selector), motion snapshot, best-shot selector, movie
- Weight: 277g (with battery and card) 234g (body only)
- Power: Rechargeable Li-Ion EN-EL20
- Shutter Speeds: 30-1/16,000sec
- Dimensions: 106x61x29.8mm
- Metering System: TTL multi-segment, spot, centre
- Lens Mount: Nikon 1
- ISO: 100-3200 (6400 expanded)
- Tested as: Compact system camera
- White Balance: Auto, 6 presets, custom
- Memory Card: SD, SDHC, SDXC