Nikon 1 J4
Price as Reviewed:£429.99
Featuring a revamped 1-inch CX-format 18.4-million-pixel CMOS sensor with fast read out the new Nikon 1 J4 delivers continuous full resolution shooting up to 20 frames per second. But can its performance match its speed? Jon Devo finds out.
Although I have my issues with it, there are things to like about the Nikon 1 J4, particularly if you’re completely new to photography. It’s aesthetically beautiful for one and feels premium.
Then, of course, there is the J4’s impressive continuous autofocus and shooting capability, which is ideal for shooting fast and unpredictable subjects. Once you get used to the J4’s operational quirks and lack of image capturing feedback, you’ll be hard pressed to miss a shot. I’d definitely recommend investing in a better lens though, as the kit option doesn’t do the camera any favours.
The J4 currently stands out from the crowd thanks to its speedy capturing and processing abilities, but it’s not perfect and also not a huge step up from the 15 continuous frames per second offered by its older sister, the Nikon J3. If speed and ultimate style in a compact body are your top three requirements for a new camera, there’s very little to rival the J4.
Nikon 1 J4 – key features
Super fast continuous shooting and autofocus, is backed up by some other great features.
Best Moment Capture
Take 20 high-resolution frames in one second and then select as many as you want to keep in playback, this is perfect for taking pictures of the children and pets
With continuous AF, the J4 can shoot 20 full resolution images per second and a staggering 60 frames-per-second with fixed AF
Bright and highly responsive, the J4’s 3-inch 1.037-million-dot touchscreen also features point-to-focus and shoot
This compact system camera is compatible with a growing range of 1 Nikkor lenses
Beyond standard PASM modes, other options such as Creative Palette filter effects, HDR mode, Easy Panorama and effects such as Selective Colour can be found inside the camera’s Creative setting
Shoot remotely or connect to compatible smart devices via built-in Wi-Fi. It’s also possible to access to Nikon creative photo apps via the internet
- Video: 1080p at 60fps, built-in stereo mic
- Memory Card: microSD/SDHC/SDXC
- Viewfinder Type: None
- Output Size: 5232 x 3488
- LCD: 3inch 1,037k dot resolution
- AF Points: Hybrid autofocus 171 focus areas, 105 centre areas have phase detection support
- Sensor: 18.4-million-pixel CX CMOS sensor
- Weight: 192g Body Only
- Focal Length Mag: 2.7x
- Power: EN-EL22 Rechargeable Lithium Ion
- Shutter Speeds: 1/16000th - 30 sec
- Exposure Comp: -3EV - +3EV in steps of 1/3EV
- Drive Mode: 20fps or 60fps with fixed AF
- Lens Mount: Nikon 1 mount
- Dimensions: 99.5 x 60 x 28.5mm
- ISO: 200-12,800, ISO 160; 6400(NR); 12800 (NR)
- Metering System: TTL exposure metering from main image sensor