Price as Reviewed:£449.00
Is the DxO One the perfect camera upgrade for iPhone users? Andy Westlake finds out.
DxO One Review – Features
The DxO One is based around the familiar 1in-type, 20.2-million-pixel sensor that’s used in an increasing range of enthusiast compact cameras, as well as the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX100 lens-style camera and the Panasonic Lumix DMC-CM1 smartphone. In DxO’s hands it offers a sensitivity range of ISO 100-51,200, with most other cameras that use it maxing out at ISO 12,800. In front of the sensor is a six-element, 11.9mm lens offering a 32mm equivalent angle of view, with an aperture range from f/1.8 to f/11.
On the back of the unit is a tiny monochrome screen that displays battery life, exposure settings, file format and the number of shots remaining on the card. Beneath it is a hinged cover for the MicroSD card slot and the Micro USB socket that’s used for charging the battery and transferring images to a computer. It’s worth noting that the DxO One has no tripod thread, so you’ll need to use some kind of clamp to attach it to a support.
Video recording is available, but with only a limited set of options. You can record in either full HD (1,920×1,080 pixels) at 30fps or HD (1,280×720 pixels) at 120fps, which is then played back at 30fps to give one-quarter-speed slow-motion footage. Exposure compensation can be applied before the start of recording, and electronic image stabilisation is available.
The device itself has only a single shooting control, which is a conventional two-stage shutter button on top towards the front. This means that the One can still be used in standalone mode when it is disconnected from an iPhone. At this point the camera works in fully auto mode, and employs face detection for autofocus when it can. It’s possible to switch between stills and movie recording by swiping a finger across the screen.
- Sensor: 20.2-million-pixel, 1in, BSI CMOS
- Output size: 5,406x3,604 pixels
- Lens: 32mm equivalent, f/1.8
- Focal-length magnification: 2.7x
- Shutter speeds: 15-1/8,000sec
- ISO: 100-51,200
- Exposure modes: PASM, auto, scene
- Metering system: Multi, spot, centreweighted
- Exposure compensation: ±3EV in 1/3 steps
- Drive mode: Single shot
- Video: 1,080p at 30fps, 720p at 120fps
- Memory card: MicroSD UHS-I U3
- Power: Internal rechargeable Li-ion
- Battery life: Max 200 shots
- Dimensions: 67.5x48.85x26.25mm
- Weight: 108g
- Compatability: iPhone and iPad with Lightning connector, iOS8