Price as Reviewed:£449.00
Is the DxO One the perfect camera upgrade for iPhone users? Andy Westlake finds out.
DxO One review – Our verdict
Without doubt, the DxO One is a clever design, and I’ve found it to be a much more satisfactory way of adding an accessory camera to an iPhone than the Wi-Fi connected lens-style cameras I’ve used. With a direct physical connection to the controlling device, operational lag is effectively eliminated, and placing the camera as a rotating module at the end of the phone rather than clipping it onto the front makes for much more comfortable use. The whole experience of selecting and posting your favourite shots to social media is pretty seamless too.
There’s nothing to complain about in terms of image quality, either, with the combination of a 1in sensor and fast lens outclassing any smartphone camera. The ability to record raw files to the MicroSD card and process them later only adds to the camera’s appeal. Some photographers may miss the compositional flexibility of a zoom lens, but this is the price you pay for such a small, easily pocketable unit that you can carry all the time.
Despite its undoubted strengths, though, it’s difficult to wholeheartedly recommend the DxO One at this point. The app feels underdeveloped and lacking in features, and the poor battery life is likely to be a serious problem for enthusiast photographers. However, DxO’s commitment to updating the system means that the app should improve quickly, and with any luck the battery life will get better too.
Overall, the DxO One is the most practical ‘connected camera’ yet, and has lots of potential for improvement. It’s a really exciting concept, and great for iPhone users who want a better camera that’s easy to carry around, but it’s not quite ready yet to make standalone compact cameras obsolete.
- Sensor: 20.2-million-pixel, 1in, BSI CMOS
- Output size: 5,406x3,604 pixels
- Lens: 32mm equivalent, f/1.8
- Focal-length magnification: 2.7x
- Shutter speeds: 15-1/8,000sec
- ISO: 100-51,200
- Exposure modes: PASM, auto, scene
- Metering system: Multi, spot, centreweighted
- Exposure compensation: ±3EV in 1/3 steps
- Drive mode: Single shot
- Video: 1,080p at 30fps, 720p at 120fps
- Memory card: MicroSD UHS-I U3
- Power: Internal rechargeable Li-ion
- Battery life: Max 200 shots
- Dimensions: 67.5x48.85x26.25mm
- Weight: 108g
- Compatability: iPhone and iPad with Lightning connector, iOS8