Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX1 review
January 19, 2013
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX1
Price as Reviewed:£2,599.00
A 24.3-million-pixel full-frame sensor and a fixed 35mm f/2 lens could make the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX1 the best digital compact camera yet. However, at £2,600 it doesn't come cheap. Read the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX1 review...
Looking to upgrade? Our Trade-In and Purchase Service is one of the best in the industry. We buy all sorts of equipment and make that upgrade much easier than you may think. Visit www.cameraworld.co.uk/trade-in for a quote.
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX1 review – The competition
Image: Fujifilm X100
The two cameras that will really form the competition for the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX1 are the Fujifilm X100 and the Leica X2. Both have 12.1-million-pixel, APS-C-sized sensors, with the X100 having a 23mm f/2 lens and the X2 a 24mm f/2.8 optic.
These combinations offer the same field of view as the 35mm lens of the RX1, and with the X2 costing around £1,500 this is £1,000 less than the RX1.
The X100 is even better value at around £600, although the Sony RX1 has twice the resolution.
It is also worth considering a Nikon D600, which, with a Nikkor 35mm f/2 D lens, will cost around
£1,800 and will offer the same resolution but in a larger DSLR camera.
Image: Leica X2
- Video: Full HD (1080p) AVCHD (50fps), MP4 (30fps), VGA (480p)
- External mic: Yes
- Built-in Flash: Yes
- White Balance: Auto, 8 presets (including 4 fluorescent), custom and manual
- Memory Card: SD, SDHC, SDXC, Memory Stick Pro Duo, Micro SDHC
- Output Size: 6000 x 4000 pixels
- Viewfinder Type: Optional FDA-V1K optical and FDA-EV1MK electronic viewfinder
- LCD: 3in, 1,228,800-dot, TFT LCD
- Hotshoe: Yes
- Sensor: 24.3-million-pixel, 35mm, full-frame, Exmor CMOS sensor
- Power: Rechargeable Li-Ion NP-BX1 battery
- Weight: 482g (including battery and card)
- Exposure Modes: Program, aperture priority, shutter priority, manual, memory, iAuto, Superior Auto+, 180° sweep shooting, 14 scene modes, picture effects
- Lens: 35mm f/2 Carl Zeiss Sonnar T*
- File Format: JPEG, raw (ARW 2.3 format), JPEG+raw (still images) AVCHD 2, MP4 (video)
- Shutter Speeds: 30-1/4000sec
- AF array: Multi-point (25 points), centreweighted, flexible spot, spot tracking, spot face detection
- Drive Mode: 5fps continuous
- Colour Space: Adobe RGB, sRGB
- ISO: ISO 100-25,600 (expandable to ISO 50-25,600 and ISO 100-102,400 in multi-frame noise reduction)
- Focusing Modes: Single, continuous, manual and direct manual
- Dimensions: 113.3x 65.4 x 69.6mm
- Compression: 2-stage JPEG
- Connectivity / Interface: Mini HDMI, Micro USB, hi-speed USB 2.0, multi-interface shoe
- Metering System: Multi-segment, centreweighted, spot
- Exposure Comp: ±3EV in 1⁄3EV steps
- RRP: £2,599