Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50
Price as Reviewed:£320.00
With its 20.4-million-pixel sensor coupled with a stabilised 30x optical zoom lens, we find out whether the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50 makes the perfect compact travel camera. Read the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50 review...
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50 review – White balance and colour
Adjustments for brightness, colour and vividness can be made via the bottom button on the direction-control dial. This can make the colours in an image warmer or cooler, brighten the images or adjust how punchy the colours are. This was useful when the white balance was a little off, enabling tiny adjustments to be made to compensate for this. However, overall, the white balance is accurate even in situations with conflicting light sources, and it is generally true to the scene.
Various picture effects are available, which take an image and process it in-camera. I found the rich tone monochrome to be very effective. This takes a black & white image and uses the HDR function to accentuate detail. Other picture modes such as toy camera and miniaturise make for some fun and creative ways to capture images.
- Memory Card: SD, SDHC, SDXC
- White Balance: Auto, daylight, cloudy, fluorescent1, fluorescent2, fluorescent3, incandescent, flash, one push, one push set, white balance shift
- Output Size: 5184 x 3888 pixels
- Power: Rechargeable Lithium N NP-BX1 (400 shots)
- Weight: 245g (without battery and card)
- Exposure Modes: Program, aperture priority, shutter priority, manual, memory recall, iSweep, movie mode, scene selection, intelligent auto, superior auto
- LCD: 3in, 921,600-dot TFT Xtra Fine Trublack
- Sensor: 20.4-million-pixel, 1/2.3in (6.16 x 4.62mm) Exmor R CMOS sensor
- File Format: JPEG
- Lens: Sony G 30x zoom (24-720mm 35mm equivalent) f/3.5-6.3
- Focusing Modes: Single, continuous, manual
- Shutter Speeds: 1-1/1600sec (4-1/1600sec iAuto)
- Dimensions: 108.1 x 64.3 x 38.3mm
- RRP: £350
- Metering System: Multi-pattern, centreweighted, spot
- ISO: ISO 80-3200 (iAuto), ISO 80-12,800 (Superior Auto), ISO 80-1600 (Program Auto)