Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50
Price as Reviewed:£320.00
With its 20.4-million-pixel sensor coupled with a stabilised 30x optical zoom lens, we find out whether the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50 makes the perfect compact travel camera. Read the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50 review...
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50 review – Metering
Overall, I found the multi-metering mode on the HX50 to be generally accurate. When shooting on a bright sunny day, scenes with high contrast have a tendency to be slightly underexposed when using evaluative metering, with the camera choosing to retain details in the brighter highlight areas. Thankfully, the addition of the exposure-compensation dial makes it easy to adjust the exposure quickly. It is great to have this premium feature in a compact camera such as the HX50. Shooting at +0.3EV achieved results better suited to my personal preference.
Apart from the evaluative multi-metering mode, centreweighted and spot metering are also on hand for trickier situations. However, the multi-metering mode and exposure-compensation dial are all that most photographers should need with this type of travel compact camera.
- Memory Card: SD, SDHC, SDXC
- White Balance: Auto, daylight, cloudy, fluorescent1, fluorescent2, fluorescent3, incandescent, flash, one push, one push set, white balance shift
- Output Size: 5184 x 3888 pixels
- Power: Rechargeable Lithium N NP-BX1 (400 shots)
- Weight: 245g (without battery and card)
- Exposure Modes: Program, aperture priority, shutter priority, manual, memory recall, iSweep, movie mode, scene selection, intelligent auto, superior auto
- LCD: 3in, 921,600-dot TFT Xtra Fine Trublack
- Sensor: 20.4-million-pixel, 1/2.3in (6.16 x 4.62mm) Exmor R CMOS sensor
- File Format: JPEG
- Lens: Sony G 30x zoom (24-720mm 35mm equivalent) f/3.5-6.3
- Focusing Modes: Single, continuous, manual
- Shutter Speeds: 1-1/1600sec (4-1/1600sec iAuto)
- Dimensions: 108.1 x 64.3 x 38.3mm
- RRP: £350
- Metering System: Multi-pattern, centreweighted, spot
- ISO: ISO 80-3200 (iAuto), ISO 80-12,800 (Superior Auto), ISO 80-1600 (Program Auto)