Ricoh GR review
July 2, 2013
Price as Reviewed:£599.00
We find out whether the Ricoh GR’s 16.2-million-pixel, APS-C-sized sensor in the tried-and-tested Ricoh GRD body – not to mention its £600 price tag – could give the Nikon Coolpix A and Fujifilm X100S a run for their money. Read our Pentax Ricoh GR review...
Sponsored by CameraWorld
Looking to upgrade? Our Trade-In and Purchase Service is one of the best in the industry. We buy all sorts of equipment and make that upgrade much easier than you may think. Visit www.cameraworld.co.uk/trade-in for a quote.
Ricoh GR review – Metering
Image: he GR has an impressive sensor that can recover a lot of detail in shadow areas. This can be seen in the image above, which has been brightened by +4EV in Camera Raw. Areas that look lost, such as the tread in the tyre under the boat, actually show significant detail
The evaluative metering system of the Ricoh GR produces fairly bright images. Occasionally this meant I had to use exposure compensation of between -0.3EV and -0.7EV to ensure that plenty of highlight detail remained in slightly overcast skies.
One thing I did notice was that JPEG images seem to be slightly brighter than the equivalent DNG raw files created by the camera. This is worth noting because it is these JPEG images that will be used to create the preview on the camera’s LCD screen when shooting raw. If the image appears too bright on the rear screen, remember that the raw image will actually be slightly darker.
In trickier lighting, centreweighted and spot metering are also available.
- White Balance: Auto, multi-point auto, 9 presets, custom, manual
- External mic: No
- Built-in Flash: Yes (GN 5.4m @ ISO 100)
- Viewfinder Type: N/A (optional optical viewfinder)
- Memory Card: SD, SDHC, SDXC, Eye-Fi card
- Output Size: 4928 x 3264 pixels
- Sensor: 16.2-million-effective-pixel, APS-C-sized CMOS
- LCD: 3in, 1.23-million-dot LCD
- Exposure Modes: PASM, shutter/aperture priority
- Weight: 215g (body only), 245g (with battery and card)
- Power: Rechargeable DB-65 Lithium-Ion battery
- Lens: 18.3mm f/2.8 (28mm equivalent)
- File Format: JPEG, DNG raw, JPEG+ raw
- AF array: TTL contrast-detection AF, multi-AF, spot, pinpoint, subject tracking, snap, infinity, face recognition, continuous and manual
- Shutter Speeds: 300-1/4000sec, plus bulb, time
- Drive Mode: 4fps
- Colour Space: Adobe RGB, sRGB
- Dimensions: 117 x 61 x 34.7mm
- DoF Preview: Yes, electronic
- Metering System: Multi, centreweighted, spot
- Compression: 2-stage JPEG
- Connectivity / Interface: USB 2.0, HDMI
- Exposure Comp: ±4EV in 1/3EV steps
- RRP: £599
- ISO: ISO 100-25,600
- Focusing Modes: Single, full-time, face detection, focus tracking
- Video: 1080 HD, 30fps, MPEG-4 (H.264)