Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ80
Price as Reviewed:£360.00
The Lumix DMC-TZ80 brings 4K video and touchscreen control of Panasonic's popular TZ travel-zoom range, along with a new sensor and a faster image processor. Audley Jarvis takes a look
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ80 review – Build and handling
In terms of overall dimensions and weight, the TZ80 is virtually identical to the TZ70. The only noticeable difference is in the design of the textured finger grip, which is now slightly more pronounced. The majority of the camera is fashioned from polycarbonate, although the top-plate and lens barrels are both made of metal. While this combination doesn’t quite scream premium, it doesn’t feel cheap, either.
On the back of the camera, the 3in 1.04-million-dot LCD display and 0.2in 1.6-million-dot EVF both carry over from the TZ70. One major update is that the LCD now offers a degree of touchscreen control over the camera. On the whole, this benefits handling; it speeds things up when setting the focus point, browsing the menu, changing settings via the quick menu. However, while shooting with the camera at eye level in selective 1-area AF, the active focus point is prone to jumping around the screen as your nose inadvertently touches the screen. The EVF, despite being rather small, remains a useful feature that helps out in bright sunlight and also lets you focus on the composition of your image, free from any peripheral distractions.
The majority of the TZ80’s buttons are grouped together on the back of the camera just to the right of the touchscreen. Despite being relatively plentiful, they are also quite well spaced, which minimises the risk of accidental button presses. There are four physical function (Fn) buttons dotted around the camera, with a further three available via the touchscreen. However, those with larger fingers may find the touch-sensitive icons on the right-hand side of the display a bit fiddly to select as they are very small.
- Sensor: 18.1-million-pixel, 1/2.3in High Sensitivity MOS
- Output size: 4,896x3,672 pixels
- Image processor: Venus Engine
- Lens: 24-720mm f/3.3-6.4 Leica DC Vario-Elmar
- Shutter speeds: 4-1/2000sec (1/16000sec electronic)
- ISO: 80-3,200
- Exposure comp: ±5EV in 1/3EV steps
- Drive mode: 10fps continuous shooting (40fps in AF-S 'Super High'
- LCD: 3in, 1.04-million-dot fixed LCD
- Viewfinder: 0.2in, 1.16-million-dot fixed LVF
- AF points: Contrast detection with 21 points
- Video: 4K (3,840x2,160), full HD (1,920x1,080), HD (1,080x720), VGA (640x480)
- Memory card: SD, SDHC, SDXC
- Power: DMW-BLG10E Li-ion battery (up to 320 shots)
- Dimensions: 112x64x38mm
- Weight: 282g (with battery and card)