Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ60 review
March 19, 2014
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ60
Price as Reviewed:£349.00
An 18.1-million-pixel sensor and massive 30x optical zoom range, plus Wi-Fi, GPS and raw image capture, suggest that the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ60 could be one of the best travel compact cameras produced. But can it live up to our expectations? Read the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ60 review...
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ60 review – White balance and colour
Only a few options are available in the TZ60’s white balance menu. These include AWB, daylight, cloudy, shade, incandescent, white set and white set setting. White set allows users to change the Kelvin setting manually, while white set setting samples a section from the middle of the image and sets the white balance from that. I found the AWB (auto) setting is accurate, particularly in fluorescent or incandescent lighting, although it is sometimes a touch too warm in tungsten lighting. Daylight, cloudy, shade and incandescent lighting can all be adjusted to preference by tapping the display button in the white balance menu. In general, the TZ60’s colour rendition gave pleasant and accurate, true-to-scene colours.
Although there are no colour profiles available, the TZ60 does feature a wealth of filters and scene modes. In creative control mode, users can select one of 15 different filters, including sepia, cross-processing and – my favourite – dynamic monochrome. These can also be added to images post-capture using the retouch menu.
- White Balance: Automatic, 4 presets, two custom
- Output Size: 4896 x 3672 pixels
- LCD: 3in, approx 920,000-dot TFT LCD
- Sensor: 1/2.3in (6.17 x 4.55mm) CMOS sensor with 18.1 million effective pixels
- Exposure Modes: PASM, 18 scene modes, 15 filters in creative control and panorama
- Weight: Approx 240g (with battery and memory card)
- Power: Li-Ion battery pack 1250mAh with 300-shot life
- Lens: Leica DC Vario-Elmar 24-720mm (equivalent) f/3.3-6.4
- Colour Space: sRGB
- Drive Mode: Single, 5fps with continuous AF, 10fps in single AF, 40fps or 60fps at 5MP and 2.5MP respectively, self-timer
- Shutter Speeds: 4-1/2000sec, 15secs or 30secs in starry sky mode
- File Format: Still: JPEG, raw. Video: MPEG, AVCHD
- RRP: £349.99
- ISO: Auto, ISO 100-3200 extendable to ISO 6400
- Metering System: TTL intelligent multiple, centreweighted, spot
- Dimensions: 110.6 x 64.3 x 34.4mm