Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ60
Price as Reviewed:£349.00
An 18.1-million-pixel sensor and massive 30x optical zoom range, plus Wi-Fi, GPS and raw image capture, suggest that the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ60 could be one of the best travel compact cameras produced. But can it live up to our expectations? Read the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ60 review...
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ60 review – Dynamic range
At low ISO sensitivities, the dynamic range of the TZ60 is very impressive. At ISO 100, the TZ60 was able to capture a total of 12.3EV of light, which is a very high score, although it drops to just 7.4EV at ISO 1600. For high-contrast landscapes, the TZ60’s range is noticeably better than in many cameras with a similar sensor. Also, a good amount of detail is kept in shadows and highlights, which can be brought out in post-processing. However, as the metering prioritises midtones, it can cause a loss of highlight detail, particularly in skies. The dynamic range can therefore be maximised by setting -0.6EV compensation and lightening the shadows in post-production.
Included among the scene modes is an HDR (high dynamic range) option that takes three pictures of varying exposures and stitches them together in-camera.
Image: The TZ60 has a great dynamic range, especially at the lower ISO sensitivity settings
- White Balance: Automatic, 4 presets, two custom
- Output Size: 4896 x 3672 pixels
- LCD: 3in, approx 920,000-dot TFT LCD
- Sensor: 1/2.3in (6.17 x 4.55mm) CMOS sensor with 18.1 million effective pixels
- Exposure Modes: PASM, 18 scene modes, 15 filters in creative control and panorama
- Weight: Approx 240g (with battery and memory card)
- Power: Li-Ion battery pack 1250mAh with 300-shot life
- Lens: Leica DC Vario-Elmar 24-720mm (equivalent) f/3.3-6.4
- Colour Space: sRGB
- Drive Mode: Single, 5fps with continuous AF, 10fps in single AF, 40fps or 60fps at 5MP and 2.5MP respectively, self-timer
- Shutter Speeds: 4-1/2000sec, 15secs or 30secs in starry sky mode
- File Format: Still: JPEG, raw. Video: MPEG, AVCHD
- RRP: £349.99
- ISO: Auto, ISO 100-3200 extendable to ISO 6400
- Metering System: TTL intelligent multiple, centreweighted, spot
- Dimensions: 110.6 x 64.3 x 34.4mm