Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ60
Price as Reviewed:£349.00
An 18.1-million-pixel sensor and massive 30x optical zoom range, plus Wi-Fi, GPS and raw image capture, suggest that the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ60 could be one of the best travel compact cameras produced. But can it live up to our expectations? Read the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ60 review...
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ60 review – Build and handling
Measuring 110.6×64.3×34.4mm, the TZ60 is slightly larger than its main competitor, the Sony
Cyber-shot DSC-HX60, which measures 108.1×63.6×38.3mm. However, the difference is minimal and both cameras fit into a trouser pocket.
The body of the TZ60 is made partly from magnesium alloy and partly from polycarbonate, giving it a more premium feel than other models in the TZ series. On the front of the body is an embossed grip with a textured rubber inlay, which, combined with the raised rubberised thumb grip on the camera’s rear, gives a solid purchase.
A single scroll wheel that doubles as a D-pad takes care of many of the camera’s settings and adjustments. Scrolling changes values such as shutter speed and aperture, depending on what mode the camera is in. The same adjustments can be made using a ring at the front of the lens, which also controls zooming in automatic mode.
A function button allows users to create a custom shortcut to a specific camera control. Options include focus area set, quality, composition guide, histogram, focus peaking, AF/AE lock, one-shot AF, metering mode and AF mode. Also featured is a Q menu through which ISO, white balance, AF and other modes can be accessed.
The battery used by the TZ60 is rated to 300 shots. However, there is no standalone battery charger included, so the camera is frustratingly out of use while the battery is charging. Spare batteries are advisable.
- White Balance: Automatic, 4 presets, two custom
- Output Size: 4896 x 3672 pixels
- LCD: 3in, approx 920,000-dot TFT LCD
- Sensor: 1/2.3in (6.17 x 4.55mm) CMOS sensor with 18.1 million effective pixels
- Exposure Modes: PASM, 18 scene modes, 15 filters in creative control and panorama
- Weight: Approx 240g (with battery and memory card)
- Power: Li-Ion battery pack 1250mAh with 300-shot life
- Lens: Leica DC Vario-Elmar 24-720mm (equivalent) f/3.3-6.4
- Colour Space: sRGB
- Drive Mode: Single, 5fps with continuous AF, 10fps in single AF, 40fps or 60fps at 5MP and 2.5MP respectively, self-timer
- Shutter Speeds: 4-1/2000sec, 15secs or 30secs in starry sky mode
- File Format: Still: JPEG, raw. Video: MPEG, AVCHD
- RRP: £349.99
- ISO: Auto, ISO 100-3200 extendable to ISO 6400
- Metering System: TTL intelligent multiple, centreweighted, spot
- Dimensions: 110.6 x 64.3 x 34.4mm