Olympus Stylus XZ-2
Price as Reviewed:£479.00
With its predecessor having attained something of a cult status, Olympus’s latest high-end compact camera, the Stylus XZ-2, has a lot to live up to. Read the Olympus Stylus ZX-2 review...
Initially, I was concerned that the size of the Olympus Stylus XZ-2 may be prohibitive, but while it may not be as small as other cameras, the addition of the tiltable screen is definitely an improvement over the original model. If only it could have been a millimetre or two slimmer.
What I really like about the XZ-2 is the range of options in the custom menu, which means the user can really make it operate in the way that they wish. It may not be as comprehensive as a DSLR, but there is certainly more flexibility compared to other cameras, and I particularly like the new control lever at the front of the body.
Image quality is good, particularly from raw files, but it would seem an oversight that JPEG images aren’t corrected in-camera.
Overall, the XZ-2 is a great compact camera, and those with the XZ-1 should consider upgrading. However, there is a huge amount of competition, and the Sony Cyber-shot RX100 is still spoiling the party for everyone else.
- External mic: Yes – optional SEMA-1
- Video: 1080p 30fps MOV H.264
- White Balance: Auto, 7 presets, Kelvin plus custom setting
- Built-in Flash: Yes
- Memory Card: SD, SDHC, SDXC
- Output Size: 3968 x 2976 pixels
- Viewfinder Type: N/A – optional VF-2 EVF
- White Balance Bracket: No
- LCD: 3in touchscreen with 920,000 dots
- Sensor: 12-million-effective-pixel CMOS sensor
- Max Flash Sync: 1/2000sec with pop-up flash
- File Format: Raw, JPEG, raw + JPEG simultaneously
- Lens: 28-112mm (equivalent) f/1.8-2.5 4x zoom
- Power: Rechargeable Li-Ion LI-90B battery
- Weight: 346g (including battery and memory card)
- Exposure Modes: i-Auto, program, aperture priority, shutter priority, manual, 16 scene modes, 11 art filters
- AF array: 35 points or 255 points in magnified view
- Drive Mode: Approx 5fps for up to 200 JPEG images
- Shutter Speeds: 60-1/2000sec in 1⁄3EV steps plus up to 16mins
- Colour Space: sRGB/AdobeRGB
- Exposure Comp: ±3EV in 1⁄3EV steps
- RRP: £479.99
- ISO: ISO 100-12,800
- DoF Preview: Yes, via Live Guide
- Focusing Modes: Manual, single-shot AF, continuous, macro, super macro, AF tracking, face detection
- Dimensions: 113 x 65.4 x 48mm
- Metering System: ESP evaluative metering, spot metering, centreweighted, highlight and shadow
- Compression: 2-stage JPEG
- Connectivity / Interface: USB 2.0 Hi-Speed, HDMI