Leica X1 review
April 24, 2010
Price as Reviewed:£1,395.00
A compact camera from a prestige brand such as Leica always attracts attention, yet its APS-C-format sensor makes the X1 even more enticing. We review the Leica X1...
Sigma is the only other manufacturer to offer a compact camera with an APS-C-sized sensor, in the form of the DP1, DP2, and the DP2s.
Image: Sigma DP2
These cameras have a Foveon 3X Direct Image sensor (CMOS), which produces a full-colour signal at each photosite. Sigma claims this enables the 4.6-million-pixel cameras to produce images comparable with 14-million-pixel models. However, our tests of the DP1 and DP2 indicate that seven or eight million pixels is nearer the mark.
With a street price of around £1,395, the X1 costs more than many entry-level DSLR kits, although these are bulkier, and a compact-styled hybrid camera like the 12.1-million-pixel Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 is the more likely competition.
Image: Panasonic Lumix GF1
This camera, which accepts interchangeable lenses, can be bought as a kit with the Lumix G Vario 20mm f/1.7 pancake lens, or the Lumix G Vario 14-45mm f/3.5-5.6 Asph Mega OIS.
- AF Assistance: Yes, built-in lamp range approximately 3m
- Built-in Flash: Yes – GN 5m @ ISO 100
- White Balance: Auto, 5 presets, plus 2 manual, fine adjustment along amber/blue, green/magenta axis and Kelvin values
- Viewfinder Type: Optional optical device
- Memory Card: SD and SDHC
- Output Size: 4272x2856 pixels
- LCD: 2.7in TFT with 230,000 dots (approx 76,600 pixels)
- White Balance Bracket: No
- Sensor: CMOS with 12.2 million effective pixels
- Max Flash Sync: 1/2000sec with built-in flash
- Weight: 615g (without battery or card/s)
- Exposure Modes: Program, aperture priority, shutter priority, manual
- Power: Rechargeable D-LI50 Li-Ion battery
- Lens: Leica Elmarit 24mm f/2.8 Asph (equivalent to 36mm on 35mm format)
- File Format: Raw (DNG) + JPEG simultaneously, JPEG
- AF array: 195 individually selectable points, or automatic selection of one of 11 points. These 11 points can also be grouped into 5 collections to target the focus area
- Shutter Speeds: 30secs-1/2000sec in 1EV steps
- Drive Mode: Max 3fps in Continuous High, for up to 6 raw (DNG), 6 JPEG or 6 raw + JPEG files
- Colour Space: Adobe RGB, sRGB
- Connectivity / Interface: USB 2.0 Hi-Speed
- Compression: Two-stage JPEG
- Exposure Comp: ±3EV in 1/3EV steps
- RRP: £1,395
- ISO: 100-3200 in 1EV steps
- Focusing Modes: Manual or single-shot AF
- DoF Preview: No
- Dimensions: 141.5x101x70mm
- Metering System: 256-area intelligent multiple metering, centreweighted and spot