Leica X Vario
Price as Reviewed:£2,150.00
With its 16.2-million-pixel, APS-C-sized sensor and fixed 18-46mm f/3.5-6.4 lens, is the Leica X Vario the camera Leica enthusiasts have been waiting for? Ian Farrell finds out. Read the Leica X Vario X review...
Leica X Vario review – Our verdict
For the discerning photographer (with deep pockets) the Leica X Vario produces good image quality from a small, lightweight body.
Initially it is hard not to be frustrated by the relatively small maximum aperture of the camera’s fixed zoom lens, especially when many of its comeptitors have fixed f/2 lenses or larger. However, the camera handles very well and produces great images, and for most types of photography that the Leica X Vario will be used for the f/3.5-6.4 aperture shouldn’t be an issue. Overall, the Leica X Vario is an enjoyable camera to use, but it does come at a very high premium.
Leica X Vario – Key features
The Leica X Vario has a hotshoe that is compatible with the Leica SF 24D flash unit.
Below the hotshoe is a port that allows the Leica EVF 2 electronic viewfinder to be inserted. This EVF has a 1.4-million-pixel resolution.
The Leica X Vario’s pop-up flash is released via a sliding latch on the rear of the camera. It has a guide number of 5m @ ISO 100.
Behind the door on the side of the camera is a mini USB 2.0 socket and an HDMI socket.
Image: The Leica X Vario is small enough for discreet documentary photography
- AF Assistance: Yes, built-in lamp
- White Balance: Auto, 5 presets, plus 2 manual, manual colour temperature setting, fine adjustment option for all settings
- Built-in Flash: Yes – GN 5m @ ISO 100
- Memory Card: SD, SDHC, SDXC
- Viewfinder Type: Optional EVF 2 electronic viewfinder
- Output Size: 4928 x 3272 pixels
- Max Flash Sync: 1/2000sec
- Sensor: APS-C-sized CMOS sensor with 16.2 million effective pixels
- White Balance Bracket: No
- LCD: 3in TFT with 920,000 dots
- Exposure Modes: Program, aperture priority, shutter priority, manual
- Weight: 650g (without battery or card/s)
- Power: Rechargeable Li-Ion BP-DC8 battery
- Lens: Leica Vario Elmarit 18-46mm f/3.5-6.4 Asph (equivalent to 28-70mm on 35mm format)
- File Format: Raw (DNG) + JPEG simultaneously, JPEG
- AF array: 1 field, 11 field, spot and face detection
- Shutter Speeds: 30-1/2000sec in 1EV steps
- Drive Mode: Max 3 or 5fps in continuous shooting high or low
- Colour Space: Adobe RGB, sRGB
- DoF Preview: No
- Focusing Modes: Manual or single-shot AF
- ISO: ISO 100-12,500
- Dimensions: 133 x 73 x 95 mm
- Metering System: Multi-field, centreweighted and spot
- Connectivity / Interface: USB 2.0 Hi-Speed, HDMI
- Exposure Comp: ±3EV in 1/3EV steps
- Compression: 2-stage JPEG
- RRP: RRP £2,150 or £2,250 as a kit with camera protector and carrying strap