Casio Exilim EX-FH100
Price as Reviewed:£299.99
The Casio Exilim EX-FH100 can shoot up to 30 nine-million-pixel images at 40fps, has a wideangle-to-telephoto lens, a 35mm focal length equivalence of 24-240mm, a backlit CMOS sensor to help keep noise levels down, sensor-shifting image stabilisation and the capacity to shoot DNG raw files (at ISO 100 and 200)
Build and handling
Despite the impressively wide span of its zoom lens, the EX-FH100 is fairly slim and can be slipped into a trouser pocket. It also feels tough enough to survive being transported in this way. The shallow finger-grip provides just enough purchase on the front of the camera body, but those with large thumbs may find it tricky to locate a resting point between the controls on the rear.
Like many modern compact cameras, the EX-FH100 doesn’t have a viewfinder. However, I found the 3in, 230,400-dot LCD screen has a wide viewing angle and provides a clear view of the scene in many situations, even in quite bright ambient light, despite its relatively low resolution.
Many of the most commonly used controls can be accessed by pressing the Set button and then scrolling through the options. It’s rather strange that the time and date should be included in this list, though. I’d prefer to see the option for changing the AF point selection mode located here rather than halfway down the first screen of the Record menu.
Conveniently, there is a dedicated button for activating the high-speed continuous shooting mode, and the Set menu contains the options to select the frame rate, the maximum number of shots (up to 30) and how many shots will be recorded before and after the shutter-release button is pressed fully home.
- Output Size: 3648x2736 pixels
- ISO: ISO 100-3200
- RRP: £299.99
- Metering System: Multi-pattern, centreweighted, spot, White balance: Auto, 6 presets, plus custom
- Sensor: 10.1 million effective pixels
- LCD: 3in LCD with 230,400 dots
- Weight: 181g (excluding battery and card)
- Exposure Modes: Auto, manual, plus 25 scene presets (Best Shot mode)
- Power: Rechargeable Lithium-Ion
- Lens: 24-240mm (equivalent) f/3.3-5.8
- File Format: JPEG, simultaneous raw (DNG) and JPEG at ISO 100 and 200, Motion JPEG AVI
- Focusing Modes: Spot AF, Multi AF, Free AF, Tracking AF, Manual Focus, Face-Detection AF
- Dimensions: 105x63.2x29.9mm
- Memory Card: Secure Digital/SDHCC/EyeFi SD
- White Balance: Auto, 6 presets, plus custom