Canon PowerShot S110 review
February 2, 2013
Canon PowerShot S110
Price as Reviewed:£370.00
The Canon PowerShot S110 fits in the pocket, shoots raw images, has a fast lens with control ring, is Wi-Fi enabled and has a touchscreen. Tim Coleman puts it to the test. Read the Canon Powershot S110 review...
Sponsored by CameraWorld
Looking to upgrade? Our Trade-In and Purchase Service is one of the best in the industry. We buy all sorts of equipment and make that upgrade much easier than you may think. Visit www.cameraworld.co.uk/trade-in for a quote.
Canon PowerShot S110 review – Noise, resolution and sensitivity
These images show 72ppi (100% on a computer screen) sections of images of a resolution chart, captured with the lens set to 50mm and f/5.6. We show the section of the resolution chart where the camera starts to fail to reproduce the lines separately. The higher the number visible in these images, the better the camera’s detail resolution is at the specified sensitivity setting.
With the same sensor and pixel count, the performance of the Canon PowerShot S110 matches that of its predecessor.
The only difference is that the new camera offers a high ISO 12,800 setting. Resolved detail is therefore respectable.
However, other high-end compact cameras that have been released since the S100 have upped the bar concerning image quality, most notably the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100. It is for this reason that the S110 scores 26 out of 30 rather than the 28 of its predecessor.
- Memory Card: SDHC, SDXC, SD
- White Balance: Auto, 7 presets, 2 custom
- Output Size: 4000 x 3000 pixels
- LCD: 3in touch LCD with approx 461,000 dots
- Sensor: 1/1.7in, 12.1-million-pixel CMOS sensor
- Power: Rechargeable Li-Ion NB-5L
- Weight: 198g (including battery and memory card)
- Exposure Modes: PASM, smart auto, custom, 9 scenes, 12 creative filters including HDR and fisheye
- File Format: JPEG, raw, raw + JPEG simultaneously
- Lens: Canon 5x zoom lens, 24-120mm (equivalent) f/2-5.9, 3cm close-focus macro mode
- AF array: 9-point, face detection, touch, 1-point (centre)
- RRP: £379
- Shutter Speeds: 15-1/2000sec
- ISO: ISO 80-12,800
- Focusing Modes: Manual, continuous AF, servo AF/AE, touch AF
- Metering System: Evaluative, centreweighted, spot, touch
- Dimensions: 98.8 x 59 x 26.9mm