Canon PowerShot G12
Price as Reviewed:£569.00
One of Canon’s PowerShot G series of compact cameras has won the AP Enthusiast Compact of the Year Award for the past three years. Could the new PowerShot G12 make it four years in a row? Richard Sibley investigates
The high-end compact market has suddenly become very hotly contested, with the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5, Samsung EX1 and Nikon Coolpix P7000 all offering competition for the Canon PowerShot G12.
Of these, the most obvious competitor will be the Nikon Coolpix P7000. Like the G12, it features a 10-million-pixel sensor and a maximum sensitivity of ISO 3200. It even looks like the G12.
However, despite producing excellent images it is slow when shooting in raw.
A better alternative is the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5. It features a 10.1-million-pixel sensor, and is smaller and lighter than both the G12 and P7000.
Although handling isn’t as quick as with the G12, the LX5 is an excellent option for those looking for a pocketable compact camera.
- Video: Yes, up to 1280x720-pixel HD at 24fps
- AF Assistance: Yes
- White Balance: Auto, 7 presets, plus 2 custom
- Built-in Flash: Yes
- Memory Card: SD/SDHC/SDXC
- Viewfinder Type: Yes
- Output Size: 3648x2736 pixels
- LCD: 2.8in LCD with approx 461,000 dots (153,600 pixels)
- Exposure Modes: Auto, program, aperture priority, shutter priority, manual, 2 custom modes and 16 scene presets
- Hotshoe: Yes
- Max Flash Sync: Up to 1/2000sec
- Sensor: CCD with 10 million effective pixels
- Weight: 401g (including battery and memory card)
- Power: Rechargeable Li-Ion battery NB-7L
- Lens: Canon 5x zoom lens, 28-140mm (equivalent) f/2.8-4.5
- File Format: JPEG, raw or raw + JPEG
- Shutter Speeds: 15-1/4000sec in shutter priority and manual mode
- Colour Space: sRGB
- Drive Mode: Single and continuous. Approx 1.1fps maximum in continuous
- ISO: 80-3200
- Dimensions: 112.1x76.2x48.3mm
- DoF Preview: No
- Focusing Modes: Manual, single AF, continuous AF, face detection
- Metering System: Evaluative, centreweighted average and spot (can be linked to active AF point or face detection)
- Connectivity / Interface: USB
- Exposure Comp: ±2EV in 1/3EV steps
- Compression: Fine, Normal
- RRP: £569