Canon PowerShot G1 X
Price as Reviewed:£699.00
Built like a Canon PowerShot G12 on steroids, the new PowerShot G1 X has a large 14.3-million-pixel sensor and a 28-112mm equivalent lens. Could it be the compact camera that finally replaces your DSLR?
Metering on the G1 X is good, with the camera generally able to avoid blowing out too much highlight detail
When used in a number of different lighting conditions, including snow, bright sunshine and at night, the PowerShot G1 X’s evaluative metering system coped extremely well. Generally, the evaluative mode seems to be aware of highlights, but will be selective if circumstances demand.
In other words, it will ignore highlights if it believes doing so will benefit the overall exposure. This means that images generally look good straight from the camera, although those shooting raw images might try to recover more highlight detail.
Where the dynamic range is enough to cover the scene, exposures are spot on, and the exposure compensation dial on top of the camera makes it extremely quick to make an adjustment. I only needed to use the EV adjustment dial a handful of times, generally adjusting the exposure in the ±0.3EV range.
Centreweighted and spot options are also available for more precise metering.
- Video: Yes, up to 1920x1080-pixel HD at 24fps
- AF Assistance: Yes
- Built-in Flash: Yes
- White Balance: Auto, 7 presets, plus 2 custom
- Memory Card: SD, SDHC, SDXC
- LCD: 3in, Vari-Angle LCD with approx 920,000 dots
- Output Size: 4352x3264 pixels
- Hotshoe: Yes
- Max Flash Sync: Up to 1/2000sec internal, 1/250sec external
- Sensor: 18.7x14mm, 14.3-million-pixel CMOS
- Exposure Modes: Auto, program, aperture priority, shutter priority, manual, 2 custom modes and 15 scene presets
- Weight: 534g (including battery and memory card)
- Lens: Canon 4x zoom lens, 28-112mm (equivalent) f/2.8-5.8
- Power: Rechargeable Li-Ion battery NB-10L
- File Format: JPEG, raw or raw + JPEG
- AF array: 9 points, selected manually or automatically
- Drive Mode: Single and continuous. Approx 1.9fps maximum, 0.7fps with AF, 4.5fps for 6 shots in high-speed burst mode
- Shutter Speeds: 60-1/4000sec in shutter priority and manual mode
- Colour Space: sRGB
- Dimensions: 116.7x80.5x64.7mm
- DoF Preview: No
- Metering System: Evaluative, centreweighted average and spot (can be linked to active AF point or face detection)
- Connectivity / Interface: USB
- Compression: Fine, Normal
- RRP: £699
- Exposure Comp: ±2EV in 1/3EV steps
- ISO: ISO 100-12,800
- Focusing Modes: Manual, single AF, continuous AF, face detection