Canon PowerShot G1 X
Price as Reviewed:£699.00
Built like a Canon PowerShot G12 on steroids, the new PowerShot G1 X has a large 14.3-million-pixel sensor and a 28-112mm equivalent lens. Could it be the compact camera that finally replaces your DSLR?
White Balance & Colour
Canon compact cameras are widely respected for producing images with excellent colour definition, and the PowerShot G1 X is no exception. There is a full complement of default white-balance settings, as well as two custom modes.
AWB is the one setting most photographers will tend to leave the camera set to. I found it to be very reliable. Even when shooting in snowy conditions, the AWB setting left images with a good neutral white balance. The only images that show a slightly cold blue hue were those that I deliberately underexposed to preserve some highlight detail.
The usual range of Canon colour preset settings are on offer in the G1 X, but sadly a problem I have found with other PowerShot models remains. Although the black & white setting is generally good, there is no option for adjusting it to add more contrast or any colour filtered effects. There is a custom colour setting, but reducing the saturation does not turn the image to monochrome.
Rather, it just offers a slightly desaturated colour image. I realise this is a minor gripe, but it is one that I hope Canon will rectify, especially as the monochrome modes in its EOS cameras are excellent, with many different contrast options.
- Video: Yes, up to 1920x1080-pixel HD at 24fps
- AF Assistance: Yes
- Built-in Flash: Yes
- White Balance: Auto, 7 presets, plus 2 custom
- Memory Card: SD, SDHC, SDXC
- LCD: 3in, Vari-Angle LCD with approx 920,000 dots
- Output Size: 4352x3264 pixels
- Hotshoe: Yes
- Max Flash Sync: Up to 1/2000sec internal, 1/250sec external
- Sensor: 18.7x14mm, 14.3-million-pixel CMOS
- Exposure Modes: Auto, program, aperture priority, shutter priority, manual, 2 custom modes and 15 scene presets
- Weight: 534g (including battery and memory card)
- Lens: Canon 4x zoom lens, 28-112mm (equivalent) f/2.8-5.8
- Power: Rechargeable Li-Ion battery NB-10L
- File Format: JPEG, raw or raw + JPEG
- AF array: 9 points, selected manually or automatically
- Drive Mode: Single and continuous. Approx 1.9fps maximum, 0.7fps with AF, 4.5fps for 6 shots in high-speed burst mode
- Shutter Speeds: 60-1/4000sec in shutter priority and manual mode
- Colour Space: sRGB
- Dimensions: 116.7x80.5x64.7mm
- DoF Preview: No
- Metering System: Evaluative, centreweighted average and spot (can be linked to active AF point or face detection)
- Connectivity / Interface: USB
- Compression: Fine, Normal
- RRP: £699
- Exposure Comp: ±2EV in 1/3EV steps
- ISO: ISO 100-12,800
- Focusing Modes: Manual, single AF, continuous AF, face detection