Lowepro Flipside BP 300 AW III
- + New and improved design
- + Features side access to the camera compartment
- + EVA bumpers offer better protection when rested down
- + Padded sleeves for a 10in tablet and 13in laptop
- + Spacious front pocket
- + High quality YKK zippers
- - The supplied all weather cover isn’t stitched into the bag
- - Waist strap doesn't offer the same padding as the larger Flipside BP 400 AW III
Price as Reviewed:£135.00
Michael Topham inspects Lowepro’s latest outdoor backpack for photographers
Lowepro Flipside BP 300 AW III at a glance:
- Total volume: 17L
- External dimensions: 31x22x46cm
- Internal dimensions: 26x12x39cm
- Exterior material: 600D polyester, 600D polyester ripstop
- Weight: 1.4kg
With no fewer than 81 backpacks in its current lineup, Lowepro has one of the most extensive ranges of bags for photographers who’d like to distribute the weight of their kit across both shoulders. The Flipside backpack, which has been the company’s most popular models for years, is the latest to undergo a redesign to improve access, ruggedness and protection.
Lowepro Flipside BP 300 AW III key features:
- Colour: As well as an all-black version, Lowepro produces the backpack in an attractive black and dark grey finish as pictured.
- Tripod: A tripod can be carried by popping the feet into the stretch side pocket before it is secured with the side strap.
- YKK zippers: High quality YKK zippers ensure smooth and fast access to the various compartments of the bag.
- Weather cover: The supplied all weather cover isn’t stitched into the bag, so you’ll want to be careful it doesn’t blow away.
So what’s new? One of the first things you’ll spot is its new side access. This lets you drop it off one shoulder, swing it round and pull out your camera or lenses faster than if you were to take it off, place it on the ground and access kit via the back panel.
To give the bag and its contents better protection when it’s rested down there are new molded EVA bumpers on the front at the top and bottom, plus there’s a new grab strap that runs down the spine of the well-padded back panel to make it easy to pick up off the floor.
With internal dimensions of 26x12x39cm it’ll easily accommodate a professional mirrorless camera with a 70-200mm f/2.8 lens attached and 3-4 additional lenses alongside. If this doesn’t sound large enough there’s always the BP 400AW III.
The internal dividers offer sufficient padding and can be easily repositioned – something you’ll find yourself doing if you’d like to access your camera rather than lenses from the side-access point. The removable accessory pouch is an ideal place for storing chargers or spare batteries and just behind a large interior pocket (best for thin accessories such as cables or filters) you’ll find padded sleeves ready to accept a 10in tablet and 13in laptop.
Moving to the outside of the bag, the elasticated side pocket can be used to carry a water bottle or travel tripod with the securing strap. There’s also a spacious front pocket for separating wet items like the all-weather cover, or a cagoule, from camera kit.
The Flipside BP 400 AW III (£170) is similar in design, but features a larger 20L capacity and internal dimensions that measure 28x14x41cm.
It’ll swallow a professional DSLR or mirrorless body with a 70-200mm f/2.8 lens attached and an extra 4-5 lenses. What with it being designed to carry more kit and heavier loads, you’ll find it offers a little extra padding around the waist area.
Lowepro Flipside BP 300 AW III: Our Verdict
Lowepro’s Flipside series of backpacks have always fared well in our reviews with their impressive comfort, practical designs and impeccable build quality. This latest example is no different. It’s an extremely comfortable bag to carry up hill and down dale, providing all-important elasticated sternum and waist straps to enhance stability on the move.
If you’re after a dependable, hardwearing and comfortable bag that does everything a great camera backpack should do, you simply can’t go wrong with the Flipside BP 300 AW III.