Samsung responds to report of ‘major announcement’ at CES
December 2, 2015
Amateur Photographer sought a response from Samsung following a report by mirrorless rumors that the South Korean firm is planning a ‘major announcement’ at CES, which takes place in early January.
A Samsung spokesperson today told AP : ‘Samsung cannot comment on rumour or speculation.’
Last week AP revealed that Samsung is set to phase out sales and marketing of digital cameras and camcorders in the UK due to a fall in demand.
In a statement sent to AP on 26 November, amid reports circulating online, a Samsung representative said: ‘We quickly adapt to market needs and demands.
‘In the UK, we have seen a gradual and sustained decline in demand for standalone digital cameras and camcorders and related accessories.
‘For this reason, we have taken the decision to phase out the sales and marketing of these products.’
The UK statement added: ‘This is a local decision, based on local market conditions.’
A similar statement that Samsung was gradually pulling out of the camera and camcorder market was reportedly sent to fotoMAGAZIN in Germany.
And filmmaking website EOSHD reported that Samsung planned to discontinue the NX1 across Europe.
Samsung’s move to pull out of the UK camera market comes less than a decade since it entered the global DSLR market.
Samsung first announced its own brand of DSLRs in January 2006 following a tie-up with historic camera maker Pentax.