Ricoh has revealed the HD Pentax-D FA 24-70mm F2.8 ED SDM WR, bolstering its lens line-up in preparation for its forthcoming full frame DSLR
The new Pentax 24-70mm f/2.8 zoom brings the firm’s full frame-compatible lens line-up to eight. Along with the 70-200mm f/2.8 and 150-450mm f/4.5-5.6 lenses introduced in February, these include three film-era Limited primes (31mm f/1.8, 43mm f/1.9, and 77mm f/1.8) and two macro lenses (50mm f/2.8 and 100mm f/2.8). It follows Ricoh revealing that its long-awaited Pentax full frame DSLR will finally make its debut in Spring 2016, having originally been slated for the end of this year. We suspect the delay is as much to do with building a more comprehensive lens system as anything else, and would expect to see a couple more announcements before the camera finally sees the light of day (most obviously a wide zoom in the 16-35mm f/2.8 class, and perhaps a fast prime or two).
The 24-70mm f/2.8 is a premium standard zoom that includes a Supersonic Direct-drive Motor (SDM) for autofocus, weather-resistant construction, and HD coating to minimise flare and ghosting. The optical formula is of 17 elements in 12 groups, including three ED (Extra-low Dispersion) optical elements, one anomalous dispersion glass aspherical element and three aspherical elements to miminise chromatic aberration and distortion. When used on existing Pentax DSLRs with APS-C sensors, it will gave a 36-105mm equivalent range.
The lens will be available from late October for £1149.99.
HD PENTAX-D FA 24-70mmF2.8ED SDM WR
A high-performance, interchangeable standard zoom lens for use with PENTAX K-mount DSLR cameras, delivering exceptional imaging power and a large F2.8 maximum aperture
RICOH IMAGING EUROPE S.A.S is pleased to announce the launch of the HD PENTAX-D FA 24-70mmF2.8ED SDM WR. This new standard zoom lens is designed to accommodate the image circle of large 35mm full-frame image sensors.
When mounted on a 35mm-format full-frame DSLR (currently under development), this large-aperture standard zoom lens covers a focal-length range from 24mm ultra-wide-angle to 70mm standard,* and provides a maximum aperture of F2.8 over the entire zoom range.
By incorporating three ED (Extra-low Dispersion) optical elements and four aspherical optical elements, it ensures sufficient light levels even at the edges of the image field and minimizes various aberrations to deliver fine-detailed, high contrast and high resolution images. The built-in SDM (Supersonic Direct-drive Motor) also provides a quiet, high-speed autofocus operation.
* When mounted on a current K-series DSLR camera body, this zoom lens covers a focal-length range from 37mm to 107mm.
1. Exceptional imaging power: Consisting of 17 elements in 12 groups, this new lens features three ED (Extra-low Dispersion) optical elements, one anomalous-dispersion-glass aspherical optical element and three aspherical optical elements to compliment super-high-resolution image sensors. By delivering sufficient light even at the edges and minimizing aberrations, this zoom lens provides a high MTF (Modulation Transfer Function) for finely-detailed high contrast, high resolution images. When mounted on a current PENTAX K-series camera body, it uses only the central area of the image circle to deliver high-resolution images with uniform detail.
2. Large-aperture standard zoom lens: When mounted on a 35mm-format full-frame DSLR, this lens offers a zoom ratio of approximately 2.9 times from ultra-wide-angles to standard zoom ranges (24mm to 70mm in focal length). It provides a maximum aperture of F2.8 over the entire zoom range to deliver brilliant images. It not only covers the most common focal-length range, but also provides ultra-wide-angle coverage to produce distinctive visual results, such as exaggerated perspectives or extra-wide depths of field; this makes it very useful with subjects such as sweeping landscapes and shallow indoor scenes. When mounted on a current K-series DSLR, it provides focal lengths from 37mm to 107mm in the 35mm format to cover wide-angle to medium-telephoto ranges. Its large maximum aperture not only creates an excellent bokeh effect on the background for beautiful portraits, but also allows the photographer to handhold the camera for poorly lit subjects, such as sunsets or indoor scenes.
3. Built-in SDM (Supersonic Direct-drive Motor): Thanks to the incorporation of a new-generation SDM (Supersonic Direct-drive Motor), this zoom lens ensures quiet, high-speed autofocus operation, allowing the photographer to react swiftly to all types of photographic opportunities.
4. Weather-resistant construction: This lens features a dependable weather-resistant construction with special seals to effectively prevent water reaching the inside of the lens. Pairing it with a weather-resistant PENTAX DSLR, provides a durable, dependable digital imaging system that performs superbly in demanding shooting conditions or locations, where the weather or indeed water, would normally cause problems.
5. HD Coating to improve image description: The lens is treated with high-grade, multi-layer HD Coating.* Compared with conventional multi-layer coatings, this PENTAX-original coating assures higher light transmittance and less reflection to deliver bright, high-contrast images free of flare and ghost images, even in demanding lighting situations.
* HD stands for High Definition.
6. Quick-Shift Focus system: The lens comes equipped with the PENTAX-developed Quick-Shift Focus system, which allows the user to instantly switch to manual-focus operation after the subject is captured in focus by the camera’s AF system.
7. Other features:
・Rounded diaphragm to produce a smooth, beautiful bokeh effect, while minimizing the streaking effect of point light sources.
・Zoom lock lever to prevent the accidental extension of the lens barrel when pointed downwards.
Note: Designs and specifications are subject to change without notice
Availability: Late October 2015