Photographer terror threat sparks security review (update 9pm)
August 4, 2010
Managers at Liverpool’s Echo Arena are reviewing the venue’s policy on amateur photography after security guards threatened to call anti-terror police when a disabled man began taking pictures of the waterfront outside.
Last week we reported how amateur photographer Mike Evans, who requires a carer, was stopped by security guards outside the venue while taking innocent snaps of the docks.
Evans said guards told him he was not allowed to use DSLRs outside the arena, but that if he used a compact camera or a mobile phone he was free to take pictures.
Mark Singleton from the campaigning website, SceneThat, told us: ‘We have just heard from the General Manager at the Echo Arena that their policy on photography will be reviewed as they have no desire to restrict people who have a genuine interest in the building and its location, whilst remaining vigilant on behalf of the public.’
Last night a spokeswoman for the venue confirmed: ‘We are reviewing the [photography] policy.’
Management are keen to balance the rights of photographers against a duty to protect the visiting public.
The Liverpool Echo Arena is expected to release an official statement shortly.
BBC Radio Merseyside has since contacted AP after seeing the story on the AP website.
AP’s news editor was on BBC Radio Merseyside this evening talking about the controversy. A recording of the programme is on iPlayer, about 25mins into the show.
The BBC website version of the issue, published tonight, is here: