Olympus is this week set to enhance 18 features of the OM-D E-M1 via a firmware upgrade, while a separate update aims to boost functionality of the E-M5 Mark II.
Olympus has added a Focus Stacking Mode to the OM-D E-M1 via firmware version 4.0. Claimed improvements also include movie recording with variable 5-axis IS that enables users to choose mechanical in-body stabilisation only; and a second mode adding electronic IS support. Meanwhile, E-M5 Mark II firmware version 2.0 will add a colour grading tool designed to make ‘movie editing a breeze’; and focus bracketing. The free firmware updates for both cameras will be available from 26 November at 2pm. For details visit www.olympus.co.uk/cameras
Southend, 24 August 2015 – Owners of high-end Olympus OM-D cameras can look forward to ongoing upgrades that will boost the performance of their cameras by adding Olympus’ most impressive innovations. The upgrades currently under development will be released this autumn for the top-of-the-range OM-D E-M1 and the multi- award winning OM-D E-M5 Mark II. Available to owners free of charge via the Olympus Digital Camera Updater download, the upgrade program once again signals Olympus’ determination to ensure its high- end OM-D range continues to set the pace for performance and usability in the Interchangeable Lens Camera (ILC) category. The upgrades below will be available for download from 26th November 2015 02.00 GMT.
The E-M1 Ver. 4.0 upgrade
The multiple-award winning OM-D E-M1 was the most advanced compact system camera ever produced at the time of its launch in 2013, and the autumn updates will ensure it stays that way. In addition to a further enhanced compatibility with Olympus Capture the new upgrade gives owners – typically professional and semi-pro photographers – access to 18 significant feature enhancements, with a particular focus on video capture and professional workflow. Highlights of the firmware upgrade include: Focus Stacking Mode. Captures striking macros with sharp edges at greater depths of field by combining eight shots taken with just one shutter release. The upgrade will be available for download from 26th November 2015 02.00 GMT.
• Extended variable frame rates. For movie playback with that authentic cinema feel, record blur-free movies with the 24, 25 and 30fps frame rates.
The OM-D E-M1 firmware update will ensure Olympus’ flagship meets the demands of professional workflow and video capture.
Available for download from 26th November 2015 02.00 GMT.
1 of 3
• Movie recording with variable 5-axis IS. Choose between mechanical in-body stabilisation only, and a second mode that adds electronic IS support.
• Movie Info Display. During video capture, the LCD displays key information at a glance, including the histogram, level gauge, audio level and the time code.
• Silent Mode. Switch to completely silent electronic shutter when capturing video or still sequences in environments where noise may be a problem.
The E-M5 Mark II Ver. 2.0 upgrade
Introduced just 6 months ago the OM-D E-M5 Mark II is already equipped with many of the latest features in the upgrade for the E-M1. Thanks to the world’s most powerful 5-axis in-body Image Stabilization, E-M5 Mark II owners already benefit from outstanding, blur-free still and movie capture on the move, even in low light. Their autumn firmware download nevertheless improves on this capability. The upgrade will be available for download from 26th November 2015 02.00 GMT. Highlights of the E-M5 Mark II Ver. 2.0 upgrade include:
• New Picture Mode. This dedicated colour grading tool makes movie editing a breeze.
• Focus Bracketing. A welcome addition for shooting with shallow depth of field. Choose the best from a series taken automatically with slightly different focal settings.
• The upgrades will be available for download from 26th November 2015 02.00 GMT. For more details on the new features for both cameras, go to the Olympus downloads page. To learn more about Olympus OM-D cameras, features and accessories, go to the OM-D website. Product specifications are subject to change without notice.
For Reader enquiries:
For information about the Olympus range please visit
For information about the OM-D range please visit OM-D Website: Olympus OM-D
– ENDS –