The Nikon D810 retains a 36.3-million-pixel imaging sensor and, like the D800E, does away with an optical low-pass filter.
The D810 is designed to shoot at up to five frames per second (at full frame), compared to a maximum of four frames per second on the D800.
It is expected in shops on 17 July, priced £2,699.99, body only.
The D810 replaces the D800 and D800E and sits below the D4S in Nikon’s DSLR range.
Nikon UK’s group product manager for DSLR products, Simon Iddon, said: ‘Significant increases in speed and ISO versatility, along with new features that minimise the camera’s internal vibrations during shooting, for incredible stability, make the Nikon D810 the ultimate tool for visionary photographers working across a broad range of genres.’
Nikon has introduced a new shutter/mirror box mechanism to reduce image shake. A new electronic front-curtain shutter is designed to cut internal vibrations.
Also on board is Nikon’s Expeed 4 image processor and a higher resolution, 1,229k-dot, 3.2in screen.
The D810 borrows AF improvements from the D4S flagship model, with 51 AF points designed to help achieve better accuracy.
Equivalent ISO can now be expanded from ISO 32-51,200.
Other improvements include a new live view split-screen zoom, to help photographers check levelling and image sharpness, plus new ‘Flat’ and ‘Clarity’ settings in the Picture Control System.
The auto white balance is more accurate than that of its predecessors, claims Nikon, adding that the D810 is aimed at ‘advanced aspirational photographers’, as well as professionals.
Following customer feedback, Nikon has added a raw Size S file format, to help speed up image transfer when needed – halving the file size, using 12-bit, uncompressed, Nikon NEF files.
Key features, as supplied by Nikon UK
• New 36.3-MP FX-format sensor: offers the ultimate in image detail and excellent cropping flexibility.
• Ultra-wide light sensitivity: ISO range of 64-12800, extendable from 32-51200 ISO equivalent.
• Up to 7 fps burst rate: uncompromised full-resolution images at up to 5 fps. 15.3-MP images at up to 7 fps in DX crop mode.
• EXPEED 4: boosts the camera’s overall performance to a whole new level.
Flagship AF performance: Multi-CAM 3500FX 51-point AF system configurable in 9-point, 21-point, and 51-point coverage settings and sensitive down to -2 EV (ISO 100, 20 °C/68 °F).
• Group Area AF mode: fast acquisition and improved background isolation even in challenging lighting conditions.
• Multi-area D-Movie: Full HD (1080p) movies in FX- and DX-format at 50p/60p. Access the full light sensitivity range, from ISO 64, while filming, and control shutter speed, aperture, and audio levels, too.
• RAW Size S: delivers richly graded 12-bit uncompressed Nikon NEF files that enable faster image transfer and smoother post-production.
• Picture Control 2.0: ease post-production with Flat setting for maximum dynamic range; fine-adjust detail with Clarity.
• Ultra-sharp: new shutter/mirror box architecture and electronic front-curtain features ensure the sharpest possible results.
• Colour-tune monitor: anti-reflective 8.0-cm (3.2-in.), 1229k-dot RGBW LCD monitor. Push the colour balance and brightness in any direction.
• Live View split-screen zoom: check levelling and sharpness with complete precision. Accessed via the camera’s ‘i’ button.
• Fast durable shutter: Kevlar/carbon fibre-composite shutter unit with 52 ms shutter lag, standard life cycle rating of 200,000 releases, and a shutter speed of 1/8000 to 30 s, with flash synchronization at up to 1/250 s.
• Unlimited continuous shooting: capture countless JPEGs and produce spectacular light-trail photography.
• High-capacity EL-15a battery: ultra-compact and lightweight lithium-ion rechargeable battery with a capacity of 1900 mAh (7.0V). Capture up to 1,200 still images1 on a single charge.
• Storage media: two card slots for a smooth shooting experience. One CF card slot for high-speed UDMA 7 cards, and one SD card slot for high-speed, high-capacity SDXC and UHS-I cards.
• Durable magnesium alloy body: extensive weather and dust sealing ensure the D810 is moisture and dust resistant.
• Wired and wireless connection: supports Ethernet and wireless LAN. To connect, use the optional UT-1 Data Transmitter together with the WT-5 Wireless Transmitter.