The British photographer who claims he was attacked by the wife of Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe believes that the Chinese New Year has slowed police investigations into the incident.
Richard Jones was left with cuts and bruises to his face after the alleged assault by Grace Mugabe in Hong Kong earlier this month.
Jones told Amateur Photographer: ?It is Chinese New Year at the moment so everything is slow and even stopped. It?s a week?s holiday.?
At the time of the incident the photographer had been on assignment for the Sunday Times newspaper.
He added: ?News International has employed a lawyer. My colleague Tim O?Rourke [photographer], who was also assaulted and Michael Sheridan [the newspaper?s Asia correspondent] have given statements and I gave a second statement.?
Jones told us that an ?independent witness?, who was a couple of metres from the incident, has now come forward.
Shortly after the alleged attack Hong Kong police issued newspapers with a statement, but only to confirm that ?an assault occasioning actual bodily harm? had occurred.
Jones, who runs the Hong Kong-based photo agency Sinopix, was unable to comment further while investigations continue.