1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zoom lens

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by Bulldog, Jan 24, 2004.

1. Bulldog

Bulldog Well-Known Member

Originally tried this in Help Team forum without response. The lens is for Dynax 800si. I'm currently using a Minolta 28-80 which was originally obtained as part of a dynax 500si kit, but I'm not too happy with the results and I get vignetting at the wide end when using filters, even with thin proffesional ones. Original post:

"I'm looking to buy a high quality zoom 24/28 to 70/80mm. I quite like the look of the new Tamron 28-75mm f2.8. Does anyone have any others they can recommend to fit Minolta AF? I'm willing to buy new or good condition used up to £300."

Cheers

Chris [​IMG]

2. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Chris,

I've no personal experience with the fast zooms you are looking at, I've done some searching about on a couple of Minolta forums I'm a member of, but, the consensus seems to be that Minoltas own lenses are better than the likes of Sigma, Tamron and Tokina.
    I have however, seen coments on the Tokina 28-80 f/2.8 AT-X Pro which seemed to rate this lens quite highly (I must admit to being tempted) and found this report 28-80 f/2.8 AT-X hope this sort of helps.

<font color=blue>RonM CRIPN</font color=blue>
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

3. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

As Ron says, the Minolta's own lenses will probably be the best if you can find the money for them. But to add to the recommendation for the Tokina AT-X Pro 28-80, I have one and it is certainly very well made and sharp. Flare is a problem if you get the sun or other strong light source in view, but aside from this I've no real criticisms of it.

Huw Evans.

www.huwevans.freeuk.com

4. Bulldog

Thanks guys, looks like the Tokina is worth checking out. My current Minolta lens flares badly so i'm used to allowing for that already.

Cheers

Chris [​IMG]

5. oddjob

oddjob Active Member

Hi Chris

Just thought I'd add to the recommendations of the Tokina 28-80. I've used one for about 18mths now teamed up with an 800si, bought mint secondhand from ffordes and its been superb.

Can't remember exactly how much I paid but it was around the £250 mark.

Cheers

Ian

OJ

6. Bulldog

Thanks Ian,

I've checked out the spec on the ATX Pro and it's now top of my shopping list /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Cheers

Chris [​IMG]