1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zone system

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Benchista, Jan 1, 2002.

1. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Delightful to read Roger Hicks' debunking of the zone system in this week's AP. I never could see how people applied it to multiple shot film formats, and I never could really see the point either. Glad I'm in good company!

Nick NRIPN
    Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity.

2. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Agreed. Roger's method of spot-metering the darkest area in which he wants detail, and applying c2 stops underexposure seems far more sensible for rolls of film.

I have discovered photography. Now I can kill myself. I have nothing else to learn. (Picasso)

3. dogbyte

dogbyte In the Stop Bath

Ah - the monacled mutineer (sorry, spell checkers off). I suprised myself by understanding the article. His last one about scanning black & white left me cold.

Pete
    Not waving but drowning, gulp

4. David Stout

David Stout Well-Known Member

Not read the article but my knowledge of the zone system tells that the exposure and subsequent development is based on a per-shot basis and therefore not really applicable to anything beyond cut film. However, other compromises may be used for 35mm and rollfim to give a similar effect.

David

5. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

In these days of multi pattern metering cameras it all seems terribly antiquated anyway!

BigWill

6. David Stout

David Stout Well-Known Member

Regardless of camera metering systems, you still have the problem that a film can record a 7 stop tonal range while a photographic paper can only record a 5 stop tonal range hence the need for dodging and burning to extract all the detail from the neg and get it onto the paper.

The zone system uses a combination of exposure and processing to compress or expand the tonal range of the scene to make it fit 5 stops worth on the film so that, in theory, you can make a straight print without any messing around in the darkroom.

A fancy metering system won't do that for you.

David

7. BigWill

What's all this "antiquated" dodging and burning caper anyway David. Us digital darkroom dudes gave all that up years ago! (That BigWill, He gets a film scanner and suddenly he's Mr.Digital!) /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

BigWill

8. dogbyte

dogbyte In the Stop Bath

Never mind Will, you can always get one back on Dave if he ever needs a lift in your company vehicle ..... now where do those electrodes go?

Pete

9. BigWill

Dunno, every time I put them on I keep picking up BBC2 on the monitor screen!

Big(This man's got the worst case of the "Terry Wogans" I've ever seen!)Will

10. Col. Hogan

Col. Hogan Well-Known Member

Isn't that the truth!

Diane

11. BigWill

Almost forgot to wish my darling Diane a happy new year! Happy new year Diane! XOXO
    BigWill

12. dogbyte

dogbyte In the Stop Bath

I heard it was Jerry Springer and "My husband spends hours in the bathroom playing with his D30". We know you were really trying to pick up the other Jerrie though

Pete

13. BigWill

Ah how true Pete, I've been trying to pick up the delectable Jeri Lynn for years. Someday she'll weaken though and BigWill will be in like flint! Well, I can dream can't I!

Big(Jeri babe, if you're listening out there, it could be you and me in 2002!)Will

14. Col. Hogan

Col. Hogan Well-Known Member

Thanks Will!

Diane IRIPN