1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zenit 11 film camera help!

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Hyperblackbubblegum, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Hi everyone,

I'm kinda a newbie when it comes to film cameras. I would just like to ask, my Zenit 11 camera should be nearing the end of its film, however it has gone past 0 and is nearly on 15! Has this ruined my film? Is it supposed to this? If I try to wind the film back will it ruin the film?

Please help!
    :D

2. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I don't have a Zenit to hand to check, but it sounds as though the film may have slipped off the take-up spool and is no longer winding on.

If you gently turn the rewind crank clockwise, it will eventually tighten and stop turning if the film is still on the spool. If it doesn't stop, unfortunately, you'll have probably rolled the end of the film into the canister and will need the right tool to get it out again to re-use it.

Any help?

Adrian

3. gray1720

The other possibility - did you reset the counter correctly when you loaded it?
    See this video, about 40 seconds in:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEdKDRlmvLs

If you left it with the counter on, say, 20, it could be working perfectly, but has wound round past zero and started from 1 again.

Let us know what it turns out to be!

Adrian

4. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

1-Did you set the counter to zero manually before you started taking shots - the counter on Zenit's is not automatically reset when you open the back.

2-When winding on, does the rewind crank turn? if not, the film is not attached to the take-up spool.

3-Is there any resistance when winding on the film, or does the winder turn "too" easily? Same problem as "2".

4-Have you got to the end of the film and forced it to wind on, thus tearing the film from the cartridge? If so, open the back in a dark room and try to attach it to the cartridge again and rewind it.

Sorry to be so negative :)p) but we have all done all these things.

5. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

No further feedback from Hyper.......

6. gray1720

Let's hope they reappear, Roy, because I'd like to know whether I got it right or not, and of course whether they sorted it out!

Adrian

7. I'm so sorry! I got bulked under by uni work I will try it out now and let you know :)

8. Yes the counter was at one,

Yes it rewinds

No there wasn't any resistance so I dont think i have forced the film from the cartridge.

haha thank you for your help, it's really appreciated. I don't have a dark room myself though, so I hope it's not come off the cartridge haha!

9. I just checked, and it tightened almost straight away! It all appears fine I guess I just have to be patient haha and wait to see what happens. Thank you so much for your help! I'll reply to the thread if I EVENTUALLY get to the end of the film XD

10. gray1720

That sounds promising. Unless the film counter counts down (not on my Zenit 12, mind you), I'm not sure what might have happened. Zenits - in fact almost anything Russian - were not known for quality control (except in a negative sense), so the counter might be miscounting?... Anyway, good to see you back, when you finally hit the end please show us what you got!

Adrian

11. That's what I'm hoping that its just miscounted! If not they might end up and double negatives which might be cool! Lol haha will do thank you for all your help!

12. Hey so again I would like to thank you all for your help!

I decided to bite the bullet, and rewind my film and get it developed! Hoping for the best, however it turns out that my film ran out aaages ago, and my camera didn't register it! So I was taking photos and nothing happened.

I have loaded a new film in and hoping that it will let me know when the film as finished!

Thank You all again!

13. gray1720

That's funny - it should simply stop winding on, unless you gave it one more push and tore the sprocket holes. Are you sure the film didn't slip off the take-up spool and was never wound through the camera?

Adrian

14. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

I seem to remember I suffered from both those problems with my Zenit B. Pentax M series also seem to have trouble holding the film leader into the take up spool.

I've now got into the habit with any 35mm camera of watching the rewind knob when I'm winding on, to check that it goes round (it might not for the first few frames while the slack in the cassette is taken up).

Did you get any pictures at all back from developing? If nothing, then it probably came off the take up, if you got 36 or so prints, and the last strip of negs was all torn up, then perhaps you were a little overenthusiastic with winding on at the end (I've done that with a Retina and a Super Nettel too! :( )

15. I thought I tore the holes but none of the holes were torn they were all in place, however a couple holes did get ripped XD it did wind through because It got developed and I had pictures? I'm glad it worked non the less

16. Oh so it is a common thing to happen then? It managed to go through the spool I'm sure, well if not its definitely on now when I loaded new film in it haha.

Yeah I got images back! And they were all fine :) thanks

17. Oh so it is a common thing to happen then? It managed to go through the spool I'm sure, well if not its definitely on now when I loaded new film in it haha.

Yeah I got images back! And they were all fine :) thanks

18. gray1720

Like forgetting to load a film, it's one of those things that every film user does sooner or later - especially if you are not familiar with the camera!

If you have the Helios-44 lens, you should have some nice sharp images - a good Helios is really nice.

Adrian

19. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Yes, easy to do for some cameras. I loved it when the electric winder became "built in" and all you had to do was pull the film across and close the back ! At least with 35 mm it is pretty hard to load a film back to front which I did once with a Bronica and a roll of 120.