1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Z50 or X T30?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Richard Thacker, Aug 5, 2020.

1. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I realised that I might offend somebody, but posted anyway. Canon have to support two lens mounts. That is probably unsustainable. Nikon's solution I think is sustainable but the Z mount does seem a bit over the top for APS-C. I agree that in five years APS-C (and full frame for that matter) will be mirrorless. If a Canon M user decides to go full frame then there is no simple migration. The user has to change everything. Its as easy to move to Sony or Nikon as it is to Canon R.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

How so? They have been running two mounts for 15 years and it has worked well. Fuji are running two mounts X and GX. It makes sense to take advantage of a smaller sensor by having a smaller system, especially when a key part of the market prioritises weight.

There is a good case for having two systems. I happen to use Fuji for APS-C rather than Canon but that was mainly an accident of time and an enthusiastic review in AP for the XE-2 before Canon M had got its socks on.

3. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

Hi John,
    Not remotely offended just of a different opinion. I agree that if canon had been more forward thinking they would have designed the M series so that ot could use the then unforeseen R lenses same as their APS-C DSLR bodies can use full frame DSLR lenses but their crystal ball must have been away for recallibrating at the time. Even a year ago a lot of canon users thought the lack of apparent commitment to the M system meant its days were numbered but that particular tide appears to have changed. Hence for now at least, I think the M line will continue. I agree with you that one mirrorless becomes de rigeur and there are not people like me around with a historic selection of canon DSLR lenses then canon will have a brand loyalty problem but then no design line lasts for ever. At the moment the convenience and portability of being able to comfortably carry a full frame with a 70-300 plus a compact body withe decent ultra wide zoom, standard zoom and macro (plus an m to EF adapter just in case) works for me.
    Willie

4. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

I am the wrong person to give anyone advice but for my two penny worth I fancy Fuji for my next camera along with loads of others both digital and film. But I am on a camera buying ban so doubt I will ever get anything