1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Z50 or X T30?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Richard Thacker, Aug 5, 2020.

1. So I am looking at buying an additional camera. My existing one, a D5600 would be used by my daughter along with the two kit lenses that came with it. I do not have any other lenses.

I’m looking to go mirrorless. On implication of this is that I won’t be able to use the existing lenses with the new camera. So I’m not wedded to Nikon.

My budget is up to £1500 fur a new body and two lenses. I would look for two zooms; a 18-50ish and a 50-250/300 ish. Lenses don’t have to be new.

One option is a Z50. Comes in a kit with two Nikon lenses for £1200. Competitive.

For the same money I can get a X T30 with one lens. A used 50-230mm ZC Lens will add £300. Benefit of the X T30 is the additional 6mega pixels. Disadvantage is limited range of reasonably priced lenses.

any thoughts?

2. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Hi there, and welcome. I'll be no use to you for advice - my newest digital camera is a Canon 60D - my latest aquisition is a film camera from the 1960s - a Pentina.

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome Richard. Mirrorless cameras have certainly come of age. With all cameras much comes down to personal preferences. You like to use it or you don’t. That is more important than the advertising. All cameras do a good job of taking pictures now. The advice is always to try before buy.

I like Fuji which I use as a lighter-to-carry alternative to my Canon kit. That said, I use an XH-1 with grip which is chunky. The XF lenses are very good and well priced compared to Canon ‘L’ lenses. The longest Fuji lens I have is the XF 55-200 which is good. I’ve not used the budget XC lenses, I’d guess that optically they are good but probably won’t take hard knocks so well.

I haven’t a clue about Nikon but my view of Canon is that they get more interesting in their second/third generation but prices have been high for the full frame R models. Their APS-C camera M system got off to a bumpy start but have reportedly improved immensely in time.

Richard Thacker likes this.
  4. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

If you are happy with a crop sensor, I'd go for the Fuji, or even Olympus, where the lenses are designed for that camera and are therefore smaller and lighter. The Nikon Z mount lenses are designed for full frame and are going to be both expensive and unnecessarily large.

See here:

Richard Thacker likes this.
  5. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Have you considered a used XT-2? That would leave you a good chunk of your budget for good X series glass.

6. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

According to the Nikon Z lens roadmap (and scroll down a bit), there are 2 DX lenses so far, at least one coming and several Z lenses not marked as S-line, so could be either?

7. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I am enthusiastic about Fujifilm CSCs, it's not a matter of megapixels, it's more the results they are capable of producing. None of these are likely to disappoint, I'm not certain that there is a quantum leap between the X-T2 and the X-T3. The Fujifilm 55-200 XF is very good indeed, personally I would avoid the 55-230, it's a cheaply made lens with poorer optical performance than the 55-200. Likewise avoid the 16-50 kit lens, the 18-55 XF is much better in build terms and better optically.

I have handled a Nikon Z6 and I found it awkward, the slightly cheaper Z5 is really just a stripped out version. Most of the native lenses for the Z series are also rather expensive, the Fujifilm system is a more mature product line and the lenses are more widely available in the used market with more comfortable prices, the bulk go them are also excellent performers.

Craig20264 likes this.
  8. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I am not going to offer advice but make a suggestion that might be worth considering.Have you considered buying an upmarket Nikon DSLR second hand as a stopgap. Sure mirrorless is the future but Nikon have not got to the second generation cameras and have few lenses. Canon have a dead end APS-C mirrorless system and their full frame mirrorless is as immature as Nikon's.
    If you want to go mirrorless now and if you like the the Fuji family of cameras then the choice is easy.
    Edit. I use Nikon D500 myself. If disaster were to strike them I would replace one of them second hand. The D500 is ideal for me but definitely not for everyone. It's a bit niche.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  9. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

As it happens there are a number of Z series bodies available, MPB have, as of today, 5 Z7 bodies and 14 Z50 bodies and around 60 lenses. Gray's, LCE and WEX also have Z bodies and lenses. True there aren't as many items as there are for the F mount but the system can be found secondhand.

10. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

If you are au-fait with the Nikon D5600's menu system, the Z50's should look very similar, which could be a factor to consider.

11. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

The problem with the Z50 is that most of the lenses don't have native vibration reduction as it is supposed to be done in-body. But the Z50 doesn't!
    You would be buying into an awkward system with the Z50. A Z6 would be the minimum I would look at in the Z system, but that is going to be outside your price bracket.

RovingMike and Learning like this.
  12. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Nothing to do with advice, but I read a blog post from a fellow who was looking for a full frame mirrorless digital, to use his tasty Canon FD glass on. Everything he looked at was far too expensive, so he applied some lateral thinking, and for a very reasonable sum, bought a Canon FTb.

13. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

The optical performance of the XC 55-230 is extremely good indeed as can be confirmed by many users and reviews.
    However it is not waterproof and is much lighter construction and has a smaller maximum aperture.
    But the actual results are magic.
    the first is 100%crops _TXE4153-web-100%.jpg
    this is from the otherside of the high street TXE4432-3XCweb.jpg

Both these taken on my XE2 would have even more detail on my X T30

The XC55-230 can often be found on the Fuji Refurbished store for £149
    And the X T30 with 18-55 lens for £799.
    Which is where I got mine as new. which would leave you some spare cash towards another lens or flash, tripod ....etc.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    Learning likes this.
  14. PeteRob

I'd have thought that FD to Sony would have been a popular conversion.

15. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Both the DX lenses in the Z mount range are VR but the point is valid if there is a desire to use other lenses in the range.

16. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

Not waterproof....................................... None are only splashproof and dust resistant

17. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I would certainly go for IS. I have judged some shots recently shot with non IS Nikons and they simply struggled vs other cameras. OK if you stay within the bounds, but people are always trying for more than the camera can give.

Learning likes this.
  18. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

That couple are just wanting to be photographed. I wouldn't feel intimidated in the least photographing them. If you put it in the appraisal room I will tell you why I like it, and maybe even suggest a slight crop. They are splendid :)and so is your photo.:). They're fun:)

19. PeteRob

I think it has been through Appraisal before. It seems familiar.

Learning likes this.
  20. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

I think you'r off beam calling Canon's M series a dead end. It started off pretty weak - I know I bought the original M - but the bodies are now much better developed and the glass is improving every year. I believe optical viewfinders still have advantages in some circumstances but are bested by EVFs in others. I also believe that in (say) 5 years time most aps-c sales will be mirrorless for canon as well as other brands.