1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Z50 comp;

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by Ron Clark, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Ron Clark

Ron Clark New Member

Hiya all

Has anyone had problems with getting onto the Z50 competition page? Whenever I try I keep getting an Error 404 page with a smashed up came3ra on it. This morning I got my wife to enter too and she had now probs and sent me an email link and at last I managed to enter. Just thought you'd like to know ...

Just a thought, I find the light blue font used on the forums I find very hard to read.

Ron

2. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Try this:

www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/competitions/win-a-nikon-z-50-twin-lens-kit

Note that this appears to be a lottery and not a competition (because no skill or knowledge is required), and exists to collect personal data from as many people as possible. The default country in the address you must supply is 'United States' (strange for a UK magazine, but you can change it by using drop-down list), and when I opened the web page it tried to download 18 cookies that are probably intended to collect data too. The question is who is trying to collect at all this information?

Good luck.

3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

The publisher, the supplier (Nikon in this case) and probably the magazine.

4. Chester AP

Have a look at the cookies: they appear to be 'third party' ones without any obvious link to Nikon or AP's current publishers, hence my question. Also, the entrant's full address should not be needed until a 'winner' has been selected and the prize needs to be despatched, so I assume this data is being harvested for other reasons.

5. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

You never get oat for n'owt. I would think that data about thousands of people enthusiastic about photography has value in excess of the cost of the prize.
    This will matter to some folks, even if they have an Alexa device in their house (surely the most intrusive device ever, except perhaps a camera and mike hidden in the hotel bedroom fire alarm detector). The information asked for in this competition would be easy to find, and I expect is already held about me by Amazon, the CIA, Chinese authorities and goodness knows who else. My laptop camera is of course covered with black tape. I have not opened the box up in order to cut the microphone cables. Now the machine is out of warranty I should do so.
    I have entered the Z50 lottery and in the extremely unlikely event of winning would use it in the hope of doing something for AP in which I could publicise charitable organisations in which I participate and support.

6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

As a subscriber and occasional letter writer AP already have all the data requested.

RogerMac likes this.
  7. Chester AP

I'm not telling anybody not to enter the Nikon lottery, but I do believe that AP should tell entrants about all the organisations that may have access to the personal data you have to supply. Of course the information may be available elsewhere, but what is harvested from this lottery will be for a narrow and specific group and hence of interest to somebody wanting to target that group without the need to select them from a much larger 'pool'. I presume that Nikon (and AP?) are being paid by the cookie merchants for collecting the details of all the entrants, and that these funds probably greatly exceed the value of the 'prize'. I'd love to know if the personal details of all the 'losers' are kept or deleted after the prize had been awarded.

If you win the camera, it sounds like you will put it to good use.
    Good luck.