1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Youtube - someone subscribed to my meagre collection. Why?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Malcolm_Stewart, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

There you have it.
    Over the years I've published a few short videos via Youtube, and over Xmas I was informed that someone had subscribed to my collection. Why? What's the point? This new subscriber doesn't appear to have published any videos of their own, and hasn't indicated any preferences or whatever.
    Does it mean that subscribers get informed by Youtube when I next publish something? Is this some sad person without any friends? Or perhaps isn't liked enough on Facebook...

Puzzled

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

If you subscribe to 'channels' you can click to see their videos with most recent first. Otherwise the YouTube homepage is just recommendations. An additional option is to receive a notification when a channel posts a new video.

3. PhilW

PhilW Well-Known Member

I believe that the payments youtube make to publishers is based on (among other things) the number of subscribers they have.

This allows the larger youtube members to make a living from publishing vids on the platform

I subscribe to quite a lot of "professional" youtube channels. And yes you get notified of new uploads, and they get paid. win-win

4. Malcolm_Stewart

Ahh, thanks to both. I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for my uploads to pass some mark of "merit".

5. PhilW

PhilW Well-Known Member

I think tens of thousands of subscribers are required....

[edit]

It turns out I was wrong. I just did a little search and found the folowing here: https://whyvideoisgreat.com/much-youtube-pay-per-subscriber

You learn something every day!

How YouTubers get paid
    Many people think that creators are paid by subscribers. This probably has to do with the fact that the number of subscribers is one of the most talked about topics when it comes to YouTube stars.

But while having millions of subscribers is certainly impressive, it doesn’t directly translate into money. How do earn YouTubers money, then?

YouTube creators get paid per monetized view.

In order for a view to be monetized, a viewer needs to see an ad. There are different kinds of ad formats, which you can check out here.

In case of the skippable TrueView ads (you know, the ones you can skip after 5 seconds), viewers have to watch an ad for at least 30 seconds or until the end of the ad (whichever one happens first). If the viewer skips the ad before that, it does not count as a monetized view.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    Zou likes this.
  6. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

That explains a lot, thanks, now know the reason for those annoying ads! If I can't skip the ad I just leave, I imagine many folk do likewise.

Zou likes this.
  7. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

If the ad is skippable then I do as soon as possible. If not I reload the page repeatedly until the video plays without an ad. There are also the wee pop-up banner style ads mid-play which are annoying, but the worst are the mid-play video ads - in the middle of what you are watching it cuts to a video ad, which may or may not be skippable. Long and short of it is, I don't think I've given anyone a 'monetised view' for a very very very long time.

8. Malcolm_Stewart

... and a short time ago, I have another subscriber... same as before, no published videos, no hints as to what interests him, she or it. Weird. I wonder if I ought to close my account, or make it all "Private". At least I haven't opened the email from YouTube, just in case it's not what it seems.

9. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

You're probably over thinking it. I've got about 40 subscribers to a channel I post stuff to, some I know, some I don't, but I wouldn't worry.

10. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

Snap I have only got two videos on YouTube but following several users for stuff that interests me. Now on YouTube stuff that interests me may baffle fellow photographers things like lino cut printing watercolour painting tractors music bad driving and even pyrotechnic art. I have yet to find one video covering all subjects but I will continue looking. As for ads I detest them but as I monetized my blogs I am part of the problem. It's not actually worth it. I get about sixty pound every two years. 60 is the minimum pay out figure. But it's sixty quid to spend on more cameras.

11. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

Shows how much I know I have three videos on youtube
    this one is called Margate birds fighting.

12. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

So do you have any control over what YouTube deems suitable advertising?

13. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

My blogs are where I advertise and no I get very little control