1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your View of this Portrait

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by PMurrell, Oct 6, 2015.

1. PMurrell

PMurrell Well-Known Member

Took the shot of this young woman whilst she was sitting on the pavement with a work colleague attending their 1930's themed office party. To the left is a glass panelled door that had unwanted reflections hence the 'dark space'.
    [​IMG]

2. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

It has a cold look and I don't find it involving.

3. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

The composition is not right or at least does not work. She is looking out of frame and in my opinion would be better placed more to the right and looking into frame. Top of her head cut off isn't right and the dark area has swallowed up the hair which detracts from her somewhat.

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I agree, shame really but that goes with candid shots. the head is turned just too far so there is no engagement with the eyes. I can't decide if it is too dark or too high contrast.

5. PMurrell

Cheers guys.

6. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Yes it is part of doing candids. I tried a crop, but it didn't really change much.

7. gazdi

gazdi Member

First thing first - I'm nowhere to be experienced or educated enough to do a half decent appraisal. Having said that I can try and express my opinion.
    What I like here is the muted colours (cliché or not they emphasize the feeling of era) and the rhythm of dark and light areas. I have no problem at all with her looking out of the frame. In fact, this, for me, brings a bit of pleasant tension, interest, some questions that don't need to be answered (at least not by the photo itself). What I'm a little concerned about is the missing top of her wig which would probably look good against the light background.

8. knulp

knulp Well-Known Member

I'm Just a beginner too but I like this, I don't even mind the cropped off hair. As gazdi also says I like the muted colours and I find the expression thoughtful rather than cold or distant.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  9. PMurrell

Appreciate your feedback as this will give me the confidence to engage more with the subject rather than feel I have to quickly 'snap away' as at times I've felt a sense of guilt for 'invading their space' without giving consideration to the fundamentals.

10. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I don't mind the fact that she's looking out of the frame nor that the hair is cropped nor even that she's looking out of the frame but the blue/green cast is not flattering at all. Try adding a little red and reducing the blue using the colour balance option in PS and see if you don't think it feels better.

Not a world beater but does have a certain wistful quality about it.

11. mark 1

mark 1 Well-Known Member

Id probably do something like this. I like it by the way. but can do with a bit more play.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  12. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

I'd stick with the original. I like the breaking the rules approach here - adds a bit of awkwardness that fits with the expression. I like the way the background splits into black and white - I might emphasis that more by darkening down that bit of frame to the left of her cheek. The muted colours suit it. One day we'll have an appraisal thread without reference to a cliche, or maybe not.

13. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Re first attempt, on my screen the eyes & hair are blocking up. Reluctant as I am to hack lumps off other people's pictures, I think a crop on the right (about 7%) and off the top (about 2% - just below the jewel near top frame edge) improve it. Sort the contrast and you are done.

14. PMurrell

thank you all. will apply to the photo when I get home tonight.

15. Gogster

Gogster Well-Known Member

Did you say there was a reflection that you've taken out? It would be interesting to see it left in