1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your next project?

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by EightBitTony, Aug 19, 2021.

1. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Well, if anyone was wondering why NZ seems to be the epicentre of challenging vintage restorations (see DeHavilland Mosquitos for details, plus various reverse-engineered WW1-era replications), I think John is showing us why!

steveandthedogs and John Farrell like this.
  2. gray1720

Well, I have two options with my challenging Retinette. The original shutter is soaking in Plus Gas in a jar to see if any of the screws will shift after that (no, I won't try to reassemble it without cleaning it off first!), and this has arrived:

[​IMG]Scabrous Retinette by gray1720, on Flickr

It's almost as filthy as my mind and I had to work out where the extra part in the film chamber had come from (it's the roller from the film door), but it is all there bar the little leatherette disc covering the wind lever centre, and the shutter does actually work, if rather sluggishly. So hopefully between the two I can make a good one. If I'm really lucky, I'll make two... but only if I am *really* lucky!

3. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

So far, I've done nothing more with the Zenit TTL - advancing age seems to bring a lack of motivation...

4. gray1720

I use my Zenit as a bookend - it seems apt! Even iif it is lighter than a lot of my other SLRs...

5. gray1720

Retinette 1 has finally come apart (though I need Chris's videos to get it back together again, no doubt).

Retinette 2... need a different lens wrench, the slots in the retaining ring are in the narrowest bit of the film gate, and neither of my wrenches will go in. Grr! Anyone recommend one for tight gates?

6. John Farrell

My latest project was nothing photographic - I changed the battery in my wife's watch. The back came off relatively easily, but when I tried to refit it, I couldn't press hard enough with my fingers. I had to buy a new tool - a little press designed for this task - and it arrived today. It was a matter of fitting correctly sized plastic jaws, a squeeze, and the back snapped on.

Dan S likes this.
  7. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

I have a new exhibition coming up in June, so I have been to the printers today, I'm a bit nervous about the paper I'm printing on; there are lots of blacks in the images so I've gone with a different paper on the printer's advice.
    Next step is to order the frames.

8. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Any news?

9. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

I'm hoping that sometime next week the prints will be ready. I used a watercolour paper before, it worked for black and white OK, but for colour it wasn't great. I ordered the frames last week too, so it's all coming together slowly. The exhibition starts mid June.

I also have a piece in a joint exhibition in Ipswich, that I was lucky enough that my image was used for the front cover of the accompanying booklet.

Attached Files:

steveandthedogs and Zou like this.
  10. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Feeling very chuffed for you. :)

Dan S likes this.
  11. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

Thank you Zou :)

12. gray1720

Very nice indeed - now go buy a bigger hat :p

Zou and Dan S like this.
  13. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

Haha, yes, well I'm hoping to retire after I've sold one of those booklets to my mum :D

Zou likes this.
  14. John Farrell

My latest project was cleaning up a Praktica Super TL3. I removed the top cover, scrubbed the filthy top cover fittings, reglued loose leatherettes and cleaned everything. The top cover was badly pitted, so I put on a Super TL2 cover. The mirror in the camera is scruffy, but I didn't feel like swapping the mirror box to put in a better one. I still have to replace the mirror buffer, and test the light meter.

15. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

I have my own exhibiton coming up , starting this Saturday. It is in Frinton on Sea in essex and the open afternoon is 2-4pm, if by the off chance anyone is close by it would be lovely to meet other forum members.
    Dan

thumbnail_DS flyer.jpg

16. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Woooooo Hooooooo ..... congrats and all the best @Dan S :) ...... and here's me stuck in British Columbia ... the only saving grace in being here, Dan, is that I'm visiting me mum :)

Cheers,
    Jack

Dan S likes this.
  17. gray1720

Top work, Dan! Bad time for me to be in Scotland...

Done_rundleCams and Dan S like this.
  18. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

Thanks Jack, a long way away mate, I'll have a piece of cake and be thi King of you :)

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  19. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

Thanks, its in your old neck of the woods isn't it? Scotland sounds nice though!

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  20. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Cheers, Dan ...enjoy and I know it'll be a success :)

Jack

Dan S likes this.